Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graeme Gauld

vuefinder fly box
« on: 07/12/2010 at 12:16 »
Hi Guys just a question i am considering buying my son one of these boxes for Xmas
any info on the best one ie slots or ripple ?

Iain Goolager

Re: vuefinder fly box
« Reply #1 on: 07/12/2010 at 12:35 »
Hi Tango,
My preference is for slotted foam - I just think rippled foam for example tears up over time.

What size of box were you thinking of? I've a short and long slotted one which I can photo and post tonight for possibly a better idea. One point of note - I don't use them as they are bulkier than a 'standard' box (C&F, airflo, for example) less bulk when on the river is better for me. 
Not an issue if you carry your kit in a bag, etc.

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 07/12/2010 at 13:05 »
I wouldnt waste your money on them, i had 2 competion sized ones and didnt think much of them!
The dark foam makes it hard to see your flies clearly and they are not as waterproof as they are meant to be  :z6

Graeme Gauld

« Reply #3 on: 07/12/2010 at 15:45 »
Goolager ,i was thinking on the competition one ?

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 07/12/2010 at 18:35 »
I've got one that I really like. It fits in the poclet of my ading jacket no problem.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 07/12/2010 at 19:45 »
Tango,

Ok, I have one of them for my loch and reservoir stuff but I've only used it twice - in it's very limited use I think it's a great box.
It's like anything else it either appeals to you or not and I can't think of a better commercially made box on the market. I used to have wooden boxes with flat foam in my younger years and they serve a purpose but I don't like them.

I'm sure your son would appreciate it.

Iain

Graeme Gauld

« Reply #6 on: 08/12/2010 at 12:14 »
Thanks for the replies i have decided to buy him the slotted one
 :z16

tango

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 09/12/2010 at 10:34 »
I really like them..I main,ly have slotted but I do have one that is slotted one side, foam the other.

What I would say though is that you can buy the same box online or from several shops but without the Wychwood name, and its 50% cheaper and if a wider range of sizes....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Caimore-On-View-Fly-Box-Large-Size-New-Unused-/400050446349?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5d24dd600d

« Reply #8 on: 10/12/2010 at 14:51 »

I just got two caimore boxes the small ones £4.99,they look great wee boxes. Having used the medium slit foam one last season can not fault them for the price.

Henry.

Dave Mundie

« Reply #9 on: 10/12/2010 at 19:02 »
I've got a couple of these http://www.fishingmegastore.com/stillwater-creek-buddy-fly-box~1343.html I like them ok you have to open them to see inside but loads of space inside with the middle leaf section giving you a total of 4 sections.

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 10/12/2010 at 19:13 »
Has anybody made their own DIY fly boxes lately? Remember when we used to fit sticky backed foam into clear video boxes and stuff like that?

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 10/12/2010 at 19:19 »
Thats all i use Mike, i like my DIY boxes  :wink

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 10/12/2010 at 20:48 »
Golden Virginia tins with flat sticky backed foam when I was a lad, we thought they were ace but on reflection they were s**** :cry

Iain

JohnA

« Reply #13 on: 02/04/2011 at 22:09 »
I've just bought the vuefinder competition and I really like it but as you say....it's all down to personal preferance.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com