Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Reid

Re: 4 X 4's
« Reply #15 on: 07/12/2010 at 12:14 »
Coming from a farm I have plenty of off road experience and the trusty landrover is definitely the 'jewel in the crown' when it comes to off-road work and for towing capacity.

However, being squashed against the drivers door, having a rubbish heater and a small space to look through are not my idea of fun for everyday driving.

As I do around 40k miles a year I need something that isn't that bad on the fuel, is comfortable and delivers decent MPG and can tow a mini digger.  Thats why I have opted for the Navara.  It is a really comfortable car, performs reasonably well off road, has loads of power for towing and without a trailer is delivering 37mpg.

I keep preaching to folk about tyres and as they are the last thing between you and the road it is really important that they are up to the job.

Yes, I do drive an X5 however I know its limitations.  It is just a big car at the end of the day that has the luxury of 4wd. i bought it as it is a lovely machine to drive, tows like a train and handles superbly (and it does look the dogs danglies IMO).  :wink:wink

Kev Danby

« Reply #16 on: 07/12/2010 at 22:42 »
After tonights journey home as a passenger in a 4 X 4 it is perhaps the first time I have been passing bricks. we were not speeding 10 - 20 mph but the vehicle might as well had ice skates on. The vehicle an old disco and having read the comments on here i have no idea what tyres were on the vehicle. One thing struck me the owner just bought the vehicle I dont think they know how to drive it and the suspension seems to be on the rigid side. Never been so worried in a car. 

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 08/12/2010 at 09:18 »
After tonights journey home as a passenger in a 4 X 4 it is perhaps the first time I have been passing bricks. we were not speeding 10 - 20 mph but the vehicle might as well had ice skates on. The vehicle an old disco and having read the comments on here i have no idea what tyres were on the vehicle. One thing struck me the owner just bought the vehicle I dont think they know how to drive it and the suspension seems to be on the rigid side. Never been so worried in a car. 

I ran an old Disco for a few winters and you are right, the suspension and the high centre of gravity make them feel as if they are all over the place....which in most cases, they are..lol. Touch a ridge of ice and it will lurch sideways until it finds grip. The joys of mechanical 4x4. The new discos are fantastic in the snow thanks to clever electronics that continually shuffle grip around....and of course, proper tyres help. My disco ended up with Pirelli Scorpians and they gave pleanty of grip on hard packed snow.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #18 on: 08/12/2010 at 10:08 »
One problem is that once someone has a 4x4 they think they are able to drive as per usual anywhere and in any conditions so they barrel along as if everything was normal. It's not!

You still need to drive sensibly and on ice a 4x4 is just a big, heavy car, unless you drive correctly and use the correct tyres. I have driven a disco - old one and a defender - really old one, both could go anywhere I wanted them to go in mud, snow, peat tracks but on ice they were no different to my kids Kia picanto, drive normally on ice you're F****d drive sensibly you'll get there. Not as fast as normal but you'll get there..... and maybe help,others on their way too

Tam Greenock

« Reply #19 on: 08/12/2010 at 15:58 »
Think l might have a wee look at Subaru cars before l decide what to get, was looking at a CRV as l used to drive on for my job a few years ago.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #20 on: 08/12/2010 at 16:17 »
Thanks guys some interesting responses. Never read the Gaurdian in my life Ben  :wink

I've never driven a 4 x 4 in my life, but was considering buying one, i'm getting very risk averse in my old age  :cool: Judging by the responses it would not really help me. There is generally not a problem with deep snow and slush on the PHD- Abdn road its more Ice thats the problem so a 4 x 4 would not be the answer. I've not really had a problem so far this year with the Pug and 4 winter tyres.

:z18

Jim     

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 08/12/2010 at 17:14 »
Jedi,
I would seriously have a look at a Subaru/Skoda Octavia 4x4/Audi Quattro/Passat 4motion fitted with winter tyres. You get supreme reliability and comfort, better safety ratings, practicality, and a car that will handle snow and ice very well without breaking the bank on fuel/tax/insurance.

On a Subaru the Symetrical All Wheel Drive is more subtle than standard 4x4's and is quicker to kick in than a viscous system (most 4x4 SUV and "crossovers" use viscous systems) which are only fully 4x4 once the rear wheels start to slip. Since they have to slip before the viscous coupling can work, you have already lost traction!

Something like a Defender/older Disco relies on mechanical connections and thus is as subtle as a brick! Its always there but because it has shafts and props connecting to the transfer box, it cannot compensate for different grip on each wheel, unlike an electronic system...hence they can feel jittery on icey roads as grip is constantly changing between ice, wet, tarmac, slush, sry etc. The new Rangies and Discos are a different game though as they use electronics.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #22 on: 08/12/2010 at 18:04 »
Jedi,
I would seriously have a look at a Subaru/Skoda Octavia 4x4/Audi Quattro/Passat 4motion fitted with winter tyres. You get supreme reliability and comfort, better safety ratings, practicality, and a car that will handle snow and ice very well without breaking the bank on fuel/tax/insurance.

On a Subaru the Symetrical All Wheel Drive is more subtle than standard 4x4's and is quicker to kick in than a viscous system (most 4x4 SUV and "crossovers" use viscous systems) which are only fully 4x4 once the rear wheels start to slip. Since they have to slip before the viscous coupling can work, you have already lost traction!

Something like a Defender/older Disco relies on mechanical connections and thus is as subtle as a brick! Its always there but because it has shafts and props connecting to the transfer box, it cannot compensate for different grip on each wheel, unlike an electronic system...hence they can feel jittery on icey roads as grip is constantly changing between ice, wet, tarmac, slush, sry etc. The new Rangies and Discos are a different game though as they use electronics.

Thanks Rob

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com