Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Tong

River Don article
« on: 06/12/2010 at 10:58 »
Just opened this months FF & FT and there is an article by Bruce Sandison on the River Don. He also did one July/Aug 1997 titled "A mile O' Don is worth twa O' Dee". Interesting that he now says the average size of Trout is 10oz(in 1997 he states 14oz). If I were fishing the water I would guess that 14oz is nearer the average. I wonder if he still fishes Don or is it all 'yesteryear' stuff?

He recounts the same tale of hooking a Trout "of at least 6lbs" in 1997 and now says that he guesses that it would be nearer to 8lbs than 7lbs! Must have grown a bit since then.

This weather is a bind...can't wait for Spring again

Richard

Mike Barrio

Re: River Don article
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/2010 at 11:07 »
Hi Richard :z16

Haven't got my copy yet, I'm looking forward to reading the article as it's always nice to read something about the Don.

Yes the weather is a pain at the moment, I'm sure we are all dreaming about the Spring :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 06/12/2010 at 19:46 »
Just opened this months FF & FT and there is an article by Bruce Sandison on the River Don. He also did one July/Aug 1997 titled "A mile O' Don is worth twa O' Dee". Interesting that he now says the average size of Trout is 10oz(in 1997 he states 14oz). If I were fishing the water I would guess that 14oz is nearer the average. I wonder if he still fishes Don or is it all 'yesteryear' stuff?

He recounts the same tale of hooking a Trout "of at least 6lbs" in 1997 and now says that he guesses that it would be nearer to 8lbs than 7lbs! Must have grown a bit since then.

This weather is a bind...can't wait for Spring again

Richard

Richard if thats the story about hooking the big trout on the Castle Forbes beat at Monymusk, and then falling in the river and losing it ? That story was first published in "Tales of the Loch"  in 1990.

:z18

Jim

Richard Tong

« Reply #3 on: 06/12/2010 at 20:00 »
Jim,

Sounds like the same one-what size was the Trout then? :z4

I have not bumped into him on the River or seen his name in the Catch Book at Grant Arms so I suspect that he has probably fished it quite a bit some time ago and maybe not so much now

Richard

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 06/12/2010 at 20:04 »
Richard

I beleive Bruce fished the Loch of Strathbeg and the Don in the 1980's when his son was working in Aberdeen.
7lb in 1990

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 06/12/2010 at 21:23 »
No comment.

:z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 06/12/2010 at 21:58 »

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 18/01/2011 at 09:02 »
His Loch book has some interesting "facts" that have obviously been passed onto him second, third and maybe even fouth hand, such as Aboyne Loch being stocked with trout and tickets available. I think he also says the same about Skene  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com