Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Re: Anyone else Stuck?
« Reply #30 on: 03/12/2010 at 09:05 »
-20.5 at Kintore 6.30 this morning. That's the coldest I have ever experienced anywhere.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #31 on: 03/12/2010 at 10:24 »
My car refuses to climb anything over a 1 in 10000000 slope if there is any sign of snow, the way it is reacting to the snow, it almost looks like it must be alergic to the stuff.

Almost cost me a new drivers door today,  I very nearly altered its appearance with my walking boot this morning

Need to get better tyres sorted or narrower rims and narrower profile tyres.

Kev.

Tried it today Kev?   :wink

Winter tyres are like hens teeth  :cry

On a positive even though it was -6 this morning Sonja got up the hill out of the village, but said the drive to Brechin was not good - get into the workshop & finish that vice mannie

Peter :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 03/12/2010 at 10:35 »

Mike Barrio

« Reply #33 on: 03/12/2010 at 11:41 »
Got frozen pipes in the kitchen again this morning, so no water from the taps :mad

Never ceases to amaze me how you can live in a 30 to 40 year old house where all the old stuff works grand ..... and you let some folk in to do an extension and replace the old stuff with super new stuff ........ and it all goes downhill from there! :z10

If it ain't broke folks ..... don't fix it :z3

........ and yes the heating was left on all night :z7

Sorry ...... rant over! :oops

Ben Dixon

« Reply #34 on: 03/12/2010 at 14:16 »
Not funny any more, took me a long time to get extracted from my house today, without help I would still be there unable to open the door.  Could do F*&k all really so took some pics.

Inside of Kitchen door last night

Outside of house last night

Inside of the same door at about 10:30 last night

Inside of door this morning, frozen solid

Trying to open said door this morning to leave for work.  I failed.

Called for assistance, they almost failed too.

Not a good start to today really, ready to leave for work at 8:45, escaped from house at about 10:30, got car started by 11:30, got to work at 12:30  :z4

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #35 on: 03/12/2010 at 14:58 »
Looks like hard work Ben ....... I think you need a Beardo :wink

Bit of ice about here as well :z3

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #36 on: 03/12/2010 at 15:30 »
Ben that looks a nightmare. Have you a plan to prevent that happening again? If not I suggest get a large tub of grease and paint a good coat all around the mating surfaces. Prob best find one that doesnt smell 2 bad! Agri suppliers or the like should have.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #37 on: 03/12/2010 at 17:30 »
Ben

Shouldn't be so bad tomorrow as the temperature is a tropical 0oC at the moment and it won't be so cold tonight.

I would give your door a good coat of WD40 around the edges and in the lock tonight if I were you. (if you haven't got WD40 then remember whisky doesn't freeze easily)

Cheers
Irvine

John Reid

« Reply #38 on: 03/12/2010 at 17:52 »
Vaseline has lots of uses as well Ben  :oops :oops one of them as a grease, if you give the door frames a thin smear of vaseline it will save the door from freezing shut.  I would also go with Irvine's suggestion of WD40 in the lock as well.

Alternatively get Lessels to fit full central heating to your house!  :z10

PS Have the mice moved back in yet to keep you company in your toasty livingroom?  :z4

Matt Henderson

« Reply #39 on: 03/12/2010 at 19:00 »
My last car had a real problem with the lock freezing. I used to spray in WD40 but it would refreeze very easily. I switched to some bicycle oil and it worked much better.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #40 on: 04/12/2010 at 10:00 »
Could be worse ................. :z4

Alex Burnett

« Reply #41 on: 04/12/2010 at 10:30 »
Ben

I've found the KEY to your Kitchen Door! :z4 :z4 :z4

Alex

Mike Barrio

« Reply #42 on: 04/12/2010 at 10:33 »
Nah .... you can't use an epoxy drier like that one for unsticking doors Alex :z7

Alex Burnett

« Reply #43 on: 04/12/2010 at 10:36 »
Nah .... you can't use an epoxy drier like that one for unsticking doors Alex :z7

Well I thought it would either melt the ice or burn the door down :shock
Either way Ben would be able to get out without resorting to an Axe!! :z4 :z4 :z4

Alex

Kevin Muir

« Reply #44 on: 04/12/2010 at 15:17 »
After being confined to the house for a few days because of the road, I managed to get up the hill today.

What a great feeling to be able to go anywhere you like again, fantastic.

New rims and spare snow tyres will be sourced ASAP.

I should have bought that 4 x 4 that I saw for a great price in the spring, it was a bargain.

I hope this white stuff moves on sooner rather than later.

Now back to tying a few flies and attempting a step by step.

Kev.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com