Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Mundie

Re: Salmon Rod
« Reply #15 on: 05/12/2010 at 18:15 »
Dave, I fish that beat on the Ythan now and again and you wont really need any fancy lines. The 9ft rod is a little restricting, there is a lot of weeds at the edge of the bank which extend out into the river, but you will manage to fish many of the pools. You will be restricted to overhead casting with that outfit, as you cant wade and the weeds at the rivers edge will catch your loop if you try to speycast with the shorter rod. This again is no real problem, you dont need to cast very far. For that rod I would buy a standard weight forward line, it does not have to be anything special, a mill end will do if you are operating to a budget. Cut the first couple of foot off the front of the line and whip a loop on the tip. This will remove the level piece of line at the tip and a little of the front taper and will make it easier the turn over polyleaders which you loop to the tip. A range of polyleaders or versi-tips will allow you to adjust the depth you are fishing at, also have flies of different weights from doubles to copper tubes which will further enable you to fine tune the depth you are fishing. With this you should be able to fish the beat in a low or medium water, but you will be a bit undergunned in high water, a double hander and sinking line is more suitable for this. For books, the Crawford Little one recommended by Hamish is very good, the Falkus one is quite sound with the advise, if a little dated nowadays. Other ones I would recommend are the books by Alexander Baird Keichy, they are a bit more up to date.

What length/weight of rod would you suggest for both low and high water on the ythan?

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #16 on: 06/12/2010 at 08:36 »
The single hander is fine for low water work but I would go for a 14ft rod for medium or high water, it will give you the length to roll cast and will also handle sinking lines and larger flies with more ease.

Hamish Young

« Reply #17 on: 06/12/2010 at 10:07 »
I'd agree with that, a 14ft, or maybe a 13'6", is a nice size rod for many of the rivers of the NE when you need a bit more 'ooomph' over a single hander. OK, it does mean an investment in the bigger rod, reel, lines etc but that need not break the bank and is an investment in your enjoyment, especially if you're canny and buying second-hand or maybe new in the January sales/clearances.......  :z17

:z3

Dave Mundie

« Reply #18 on: 07/12/2010 at 18:20 »
Thanks for the advise guys.
Just don't know what to do for the best, the wife wants to get me something for xmas, but as I've never Fly fished a river before let alone for salmon I'm wondering if I should just stick with the rod I've got (get a reel with drag for it) until I have got a feel for what to do.

Dave

Hamish Young

« Reply #19 on: 07/12/2010 at 18:36 »
For me, half of the pleasure of fishing has always been just 'going and doing' so perhaps you've nailed it - get a nice reel that will last for a few years, go and 'play' by the river and learn from experience  :cool:

There's plenty of good support and advice available from the forum members, someone local to you may even offer to come along with you for a day and point you in the right direction  :z17 Some instruction is a good thing and money well spent - so that might be an idea for a Christmas/birthday pressie in time. I'd look at some of the suggested books during the close season, a very good way to prepare yourself for the coming year :z16
As you develop your skills you can work out for yourself what you need/want in terms of tackle, but I think we've pointed you in the right direction :wink

:z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com