Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #465 on: 14/06/2013 at 08:19 »

Anyone else meeting fish that are ignoring all offerings recently?

All week :cry had a few wee ones on the small stuff and like you, a couple on the cdc and elk :z16 but nothing to write home about.
Lots of fish rising late on, but they look like they are nymphing, very hard to persuade them into any sort of action :z8 even with spiders and nymphs
Not seeing many upwings either, the odd yellow may and some quite large olives late on, but the fish didn't seem interested.

Seen a couple of lovely sunsets and had very pleasant evenings, but not seeing anything of any note rising, mostly quite small stuff.
from what i gather this seems to be pretty much the same for most of us at the moment, i think like Alan suggested earlier we maybe need a little bit of fresh water to stimulate the fish to drop their guard. But its been an odd spring for most creatures so no reason why the fish will be any different.
Maybe i should just go and talk to the river :z6, i'll have to tell them its Yellow may season and to just get on with it.

Hopefully i'll get out again Monday, and try again :roll

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #466 on: 14/06/2013 at 13:02 »
Aye, it's been a tough few weeks. I've had a couple decent trout the last few evenings, best @2lbs when sedges have come off, blink and you'll miss it, yip defo need a splash of rain.

Cheers

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #467 on: 14/06/2013 at 18:33 »
Heres a couple of photo's from the last couple of nights i was out.

I did wonder if these were the cause of the rises, but it didn't seem to be that way :z8, still late in the season to see these hanging around, perhaps thats a hint?

A lovely sunset, nice Don image with a bit of everything :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #468 on: 19/06/2013 at 00:17 »
Evening rises are still not what I would expect for this time of year, hopefully get some rain soon! There were plenty of small fish moving tonight and saw one decent trout (pictured below) later on when a few sedges started to show.

Cheers
Scott

Iain Cameron

« Reply #469 on: 19/06/2013 at 07:15 »
Evening rises are still not what I would expect for this time of year, hopefully get some rain soon! There were plenty of small fish moving tonight and saw one decent trout (pictured below) later on when a few sedges started to show.

Cracking fish Scott. The river does seem to have been a bit quieter recently. My last day time outing I didn't even string up the rod after being chased across a field by cows. Scary!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #470 on: 19/06/2013 at 07:28 »
That's a lovely trout Scott, nice one :z16 I also seen a lot of smaller fish rising last night but unfortunately nothing large..ended up with best of about 1lb. Most exciting thing that happened was coming face to face with a badger! He wasn't bothered, just went around me :cool:

Iain man up ya townie  :z4

Iain Cameron

« Reply #471 on: 19/06/2013 at 07:42 »
Iain man up ya townie  :z4

After these vicious, grass munching yobs chased me away, I got revenge by eating my steak burger. From the safety of the other bank....

Scared of the coos. Big buggers. Was something comical about a grown man yelping like a wee lassie and running across a field in waders before jumping into the river to escape.  But was not funny at the time!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #472 on: 19/06/2013 at 07:53 »
I am with Iain on this one!! If it can be turned into a burger, I am scared of it..and that includes Horses!!

Thats two encounters with young bullocks I have had on the river and the last one they got way too close for comfort!

Now where online can I buy a Taser?..lol

Geoff Gill

« Reply #473 on: 19/06/2013 at 08:20 »
Nice fish Scott  :z16.
I'm also with Iain, I too have had a few scary encounters with young bullocks and at times have just fished elsewhere to avoid the hassle. Kinda glad it happens to others and its just not me. Was starting to think I had a certain bovine attractiveness in my waders  :shock. Apparently if you stand up to them with arms spread that'll deter them, somebody said that works for grizzly bears, don't fancy trying either  :z4

Geoff

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #474 on: 19/06/2013 at 09:44 »
Apparently if you stand up to them with arms spread that'll deter them,

I can assure you that with a bullock, it does not work!!! If anything, it made them even more determined to chase me over the fence!!!!

It does, however, work with kittens!

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #475 on: 19/06/2013 at 09:52 »
cracking fish  :z16

I'm struggling for motivation at the moment but hopefully it will return soon!

J

Mike Barrio

« Reply #476 on: 19/06/2013 at 10:31 »
Lovely trout Scott, well done! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #477 on: 19/06/2013 at 10:41 »
Cracker Scott  :z16

Can't you guys simply tell the cows to mooove over?  Frankly i think you're speaking bullocks and you udder went the other direction.

Ok i'll get my coat.  :z4

However on a more positive note there should be plenty cow dungs about  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #478 on: 19/06/2013 at 10:47 »
Hmmmm ........ new product possibility, Barrio fishing jackets in bright red :z4

Iain Goolager

« Reply #479 on: 19/06/2013 at 11:18 »
Nice Brownie Scott  :z16

Went for a walk on Saturday evening & couldn't believe the height of water, seriously needs a flush through and some sustained height.

Went out fishing on Sunday evening & I did see one large fish which was off the other bank and totally unreachable, I did however observe three fish in fast water which were larger than the omnipotent smaller free rising versions and managed to bank all 3 on smutts, all approx. 10".
A larger fish did appear but after a frustrating 20 min's trying to tie on a sedge without my glasses I threw a wobbler and went home.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com