Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #75 on: 05/04/2013 at 22:39 »
There you go Rob :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #76 on: 06/04/2013 at 07:38 »
That's a Bonny fish, if the fins were a bit lighter you would almost take it for a seatrout.
 This double handed nonsense seems to sit quite well with you rob :z16

Great stuff and nice to see some pictures :z18

Sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #77 on: 06/04/2013 at 17:52 »
Nice brownie rob it will be streamers for me from tomorrow until I see rising fish.

Suppose that opening line gives it away but first day after Don trout today and it was an all too familiar experience.
First call this morning the post office to collect the needle vice recommended by Euan and home to try out the method of attaching leader detailed in Sandy's excellent sbs. Only got the needle about 1/4 inch up the fly line before it poked out a side but after sanding gluing etc tested it and its as strong as a strong thing. Would have prefered 1/2 inch will see how it goes with other lines.
On the river today I loved this leader set-up. Straight through tip ring without a bump and only one knot in the whole set-up, a definite confidence booster for when I'm playing that big trout!!!     

No big trout today though. No little ones either...
Got to the river about 12.30. Klinked and dinked without a touch until after 2 when I seen the first upright coming down.
Changed over to a dry which never actually touched the water.
There was fly coming off slowly but steadily until about 4 but never seen a rise despite checking 2 different areas a few miles apart both favourite spots for rising fish. 
I thought they were olives until I finally managed to snaffle one and surprise surprise a March Brown.
After Sandy's pics I'm almost embarrassed to post this but it will have to do  :z4   

Mike Barrio

« Reply #78 on: 06/04/2013 at 17:55 »
Great stuff Noel :z16

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #79 on: 06/04/2013 at 21:12 »
That's a pity Noel, but unfortunately half expected, the way the weather has been.   :z6

Interesting photo Trig.

I fished the upperish middleish river yesterday from about 13:15 until 16:00 and did not see one upwing, not a one  :z8  the weather did improve around 15:45 and the sun came out as did two fish but both just the once.
I felt obliged to cover the first fish but he was never seen again.

Possibly should have stayed but was scunnered.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #80 on: 06/04/2013 at 21:31 »
Thanks, the more I look at it the less I like it.  :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #81 on: 06/04/2013 at 22:30 »
Funny that...........the less I look at it the more I like it  :z7

Noel Kelly

« Reply #82 on: 06/04/2013 at 22:56 »
I have put a bid on something with a proper macro. Those pics ye are doing are way cool and it gives you something to do while there's Fek all happening in the river!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #83 on: 06/04/2013 at 23:12 »
Noel,

I don't know what you are bidding on, and I'm no expert on Macro stuff but I do know that I have had (and still have one) digi compacts that the macro shots are really, really sh** so please do some searching/ reviewing on the net before you spend any money.

The camera that Sandy uses puts out great stuff (as you can see) and I think that has a macro function, my camera has both a macro and super macro (the difference? I don't know) but with the correct lighting the super macro is excellent for a compact.

Hope you get what you want and am looking forward to your first pictures  :z16

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #84 on: 06/04/2013 at 23:28 »
It's an Olympus tough tg 320. Seems the biz to me and cheap but if anyone knows better please let me know.
Cheers goo.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #85 on: 07/04/2013 at 09:12 »
My Olympus EX-FH25 does good macro considering it is not a proper SLR but they are hard to find and very expensive even second hand.  I got it for the video function mainly but takes good pics too.

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #86 on: 07/04/2013 at 19:02 »
Do you mean Casio Ben?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #87 on: 07/04/2013 at 19:32 »
Watching the snow come down last night I put my Sunday fishing plans on hold. Good day to get one of the spring jobs out of the way. Did you go out Michael?

Hamish Young

« Reply #88 on: 07/04/2013 at 19:34 »
Noel..... how did you get the cat to sit still whilst you pressure washed it ??? I've been trying that for years and the wee ginger b*stard keeps fecking off every time I get the pressure washer out  :roll :z7

Loxiafan

« Reply #89 on: 07/04/2013 at 20:11 »
River Don today, better than Deveron yesterday (for me). Biggest hatch of LDO's I have seen this year (anywhere), streaming down from 2 ish till well after 4pm but as usual only a few trout rising. Had a nice fish on the dry about 1.5 lbs but he decided he didn't like wearing fishnets so ta-tae-bye. Rose and pricked another, then at 4.30pm hooked and landed a 12-14 oz just to avoid a blank. Again on a dry. Had one lunker, castable but he only came up once so left him for another day - he is marked !

Troot Dinner:

1st Don trout 2013 and on the dry fly:

Any more dropped fish and the Helios 104 is getting relegated, beginning to think me and 10 footers don't get on.

L

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com