Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #60 on: 01/04/2013 at 19:44 »
@ Dan, throw away all your nymphing vids where guys are tossing them straight upstream. Pish at this time of year I reckon unless it is to fish that are hitting ascenders. I did this picture perfect on Saturday and was out fished by Goolager.

@ Geoff, I still remember that biggie you had a year ago. Would be nice to bump in to you again ! Good luck if you are out again.

@ Ben, Dude at least you saw some fish actually hitting flies !!!

@ Goolager, if a certain individual posts PB lunkers that he caught on the dry fly today then am' gaen hame !  :mad

Lindsay

Iain Cameron

« Reply #61 on: 02/04/2013 at 09:19 »
Well done Iain, pity I didn't catch you I could have done with some company !

drop me a PM and we'll sort out an afternoon. Nice otter!

Mark Zhang

« Reply #62 on: 02/04/2013 at 11:47 »
Hi, I fished from 3pm to 5.30pm in Kemnay. Saw a fish rise a few time. tried dry CDC, black spider and some golden head nymph, but no luck, will back again this weekend to see if it's still there. there were quite a lot of small flies next to the river bank. It's a surprise because I didn't see any of them before. good to be out, tight lines.

Loxiafan

« Reply #63 on: 02/04/2013 at 12:44 »
drop me a PM and we'll sort out an afternoon. Nice otter!

:z16 Probably next affie I can do on the Don is Sunday, should hopefully be a few of us out ? Might sneak in a morning to around 2pm sesh later this week though.

Lindsay

Irvine Ross

« Reply #64 on: 02/04/2013 at 17:16 »
I was out from 1pm to 3:30pm today up above Alford and there was no sign of life in the river. No flies and therefore no rises. The air temperature was only about 5C with no sun at all so it's hardly surprising. Roll on some warmer weather.

Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #65 on: 02/04/2013 at 17:17 »
Managed a few hours yesterday. Got out the car and although the sun was out th wind was cold, so I set up the salmon rod and had a few casts. 5th cast saw me land a fish of about 11 pounds. I think it was a kelt, but another angler said it was a fresh fish. Belly was to straight for me, so I will settle on Kelt. Warmed up a little around 3pm so went back to the car for my "trout" gear and started throwing streamers as nothing was moving.

Small hatch of LDO's and some kind of sedgey thing but no fish coming up for them.

Out later in the week I hope :)

Iain Cameron

« Reply #66 on: 03/04/2013 at 08:04 »
:z16 Probably next affie I can do on the Don is Sunday, should hopefully be a few of us out

I'm gigging in Peterhead on Saturday night, late night, rock'n'roll etc....so Sunday will not be an early start for me, but should be able to make it out for an afternoon cast or two. Drop me a note in the morning saying where you'll be

Cheers
I

Mike Barrio

« Reply #67 on: 03/04/2013 at 10:45 »
Gigging, Rock'n'roll etc ......... beware of plastic stacking chairs :shock

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #68 on: 03/04/2013 at 11:24 »
speaking of Giggling Rock & Roll, whatever happened to Howard (?) that sang such charming tunes for us at the 2010 Gathering ?  
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Iain Cameron

« Reply #69 on: 03/04/2013 at 13:23 »
Gigging, Rock'n'roll etc ......... beware of plastic stacking chairs

Ooucha... no chairs at the venue... just polystyrene fish crates nicked from the harbour. Still stackable though, so i'll be careful with my tackle

Iain Cameron

« Reply #70 on: 04/04/2013 at 20:35 »
Well, a mostly enjoyable afternoon Donside today. Great being back on the river and wandering about having a few casts, apart from falling on my a**e. It's ok, nobody saw...

Hmmm. Cold wind, some sun, a little hail/rain. Some upwings made an appearance around 3 ish, 3.30. But not a single rise seen... Worked a dry & nymph upstream for a while - nothing touched me - probably fished too high in water, but I was using the day to get the cobwebs off of the casting arm so persevered with that method. Fished the pockets, the foam lines, the seams... Happy with how I fished... Meh, guess the brownies are still sulking!

Worked back downstream swinging wets, just enjoyable to be out on running water again.

Fave new accessory of year - fingerless gloves! Kept my hands warm enough to stay out for a few hours.

Loxiafan

« Reply #71 on: 04/04/2013 at 22:30 »
apart from falling on my a**e. It's ok, nobody saw...

Good to know it's not just me and Goolager, think we had a couple of 5.8's for artistic impression on Saturday !  :z4 Hopefully catch you tomorrow - seemed almost spring today except for the hail ! Still very cold though so meagre pickings for the dry flyer still.

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #72 on: 05/04/2013 at 20:16 »
Wel, today I tried a different pool, a much faster one, hoping to avoid the kelts, and 5th cast, I hooked a kelt! This one about 11-12 pounds again.

However, I did get a surpise in the way of a 3lb brownie, and joined the falling on ones arse club whilst returning it.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #73 on: 05/04/2013 at 20:24 »
Great stuff Rob :z16 ...... Where's the Brownie photo, I know you've got one :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #74 on: 05/04/2013 at 22:34 »
No idea how to get the photo from my phone or facebook onto here Mike. I guesss you saw it on Facebook? Thats a double handed rod next to it and a large salmon reel, will work out the length later.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com