Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

danbruce

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #45 on: 31/03/2013 at 17:32 »
All being well tomorrow I hope to make it out for a couple of hours after work. Won't be on the river till 3pm, hope to catch the tail end of any hatches and land me a bonnie don trout on opening day.

Dan

Iain Cameron

« Reply #46 on: 31/03/2013 at 19:14 »
Anyone out for opening day tomorrow ?

aye, in the afternoon, trying out the pink and dink

walked a couple of lower river beats today; baltic! Saw very little fly life; sun came out later in the afternoon (I was home by then) so it might have warmed a little
iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #47 on: 31/03/2013 at 21:27 »
Good luck to all going out tomorrow.

Today was defo chillier than yesterday, hopefully tomorrow is warmer.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #48 on: 31/03/2013 at 21:28 »
Fished the Don on Saturday, when the sun came out so did the Dark Olives for perhaps 30 minutes or so. Saw one small trout take a fly that was it.

Some salmon moving but could not see if they were fresh. I had one of 9-10 pounds on an inch Cu Whillie Gunn tube. Kelt but very very well mended. Pool was packed so I moved upstream and found a pool to myself :)

Loxiafan

« Reply #49 on: 31/03/2013 at 22:54 »
Good luck to everyone out after broonies tomorrow. Will be good to meet up with old faces and new, say hello.

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #50 on: 01/04/2013 at 06:46 »
Good luck for the new season guys. Hope it's a cracker   :z16

Liam

TimTheFlier

« Reply #51 on: 01/04/2013 at 09:35 »
Thanks Liam - might try a few hours this afternoon to practice some of the stuff you taught me last year on a few of our favourite beats. 

Good to hear from you - I bet it's a bit warmer down there !

Tim

Iain Cameron

« Reply #52 on: 01/04/2013 at 18:30 »
Good luck to everyone out after broonies tomorrow. Will be good to meet up with old faces and new, say hello.

well, I managed a few pleasant hours in the fresh air. Quite warm when the sun shone, but then I was fairly layered up!
The addition of a flouro pink CDC over-wing on my F-flies was great for improving visibility. Didn't bring any trouts up though!

A few midge, and a few upwings - very few! Saw one rise - small trout, splashy but wee - all day. Day didn't really get warm until post 2pm. THe Don was very clear, and still kinda cold!

Didn't meet a single soul all day, and only managed a couple of tugs, and a kelt which gave a spirited fight on the single hander before swimming happily off.

Ah well, was great to shake off the casting cobwebs.

Hope someone else connected with a few trouts.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #53 on: 01/04/2013 at 18:46 »
Great stuff Iain :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #54 on: 01/04/2013 at 18:55 »
By all accounts it was another chilly one today.
It would have been nice in the sun & the rod got bent Iain so all in all  :z16

Roll on the weekend.

Iain 2

Loxiafan

« Reply #55 on: 01/04/2013 at 19:08 »
Well done Iain, pity I didn't catch you I could have done with some company !

I fished a beat ending in "Y". Arrived around 11am, farging freezing easterly wind, but there was that hint of promise as well. Thermo said 10 degrees C but windchill was knocking at least 5 off that. It did rise to 18 degrees at one point  :shock

I was set up to fish dries so just stalked about fishy looking lies. First LDO spotted at 1.25pm, and a scattering of a few more. Then some more. No rises, no fish, no interest, no hope ! There was still the odd Olive fluttering about when I left at 3.45pm, resigned to another fishless opening day on the Don.

Highlight of the day was an Otter that frolicked about for half an hour in the pools above me stakeout:

Hey Lindsay. Needing Any Otter's Oxter Mate ?

Great day to be out but I really am going to have to get ma heid round nymphing or this is going to be a long hard month on the Don !  :roll

Lindsay

Geoff Gill

« Reply #56 on: 01/04/2013 at 19:30 »
Hi Lindsay,

I too was out at lunchtime, trying for the first time a more 'tactical' and patient approach instead of just fishing regardless. Conditions were same, low clear water, cold and very few flies with no fish showing whats so ever. Tried nymphing and spiders with no luck. Headed home for 3pm.
Good to be out again though.

cheers

Geoff

danbruce

« Reply #57 on: 01/04/2013 at 19:32 »
Well done with the fish Iain. :z16
It was a nice afternoon to be out, I was also fishing a beat ending in 'Y' but guessing it was a different one to you Lindsay. Was another fishless day for me but as always good to be out. I know what you mean about fishing the nymph, something I have never really spent anytime doing. Hopefully bump into Mr Goolager sometime soon on the river bank to pick up some tips on all things nymph. :wink

Dan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #58 on: 01/04/2013 at 19:33 »
Left the DHD at home and took the trout rod only.  Arrived about 11:30 and saw a small number of LDO's from about 1PM odd small trout moving to them but nothing worth chucking a fly at.  Bloody freezing in that wind!

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #59 on: 01/04/2013 at 19:33 »
Cracking photo Lindzer,

Pity about the fish, I wonder if anyone was seeing hatches or showing fish on any other beats?!

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com