Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #195 on: 12/04/2013 at 22:53 »

There are some hooks that I wouldn't use when there is a possibility, however remote, of a decent wildie and the 2200 is included. I do like the Tiemco 212Y and it hasn't let me down with fish to the 3 lb mark (rainbows) but would I'd have to be uber giddy to intentionally target a large river brown with a fly tied on one.

Just some more thoughts on this - the 212Y, though looking stronger, this opened way more easily than the 2200BL. I have used the Varivas 2200BL-B's and had Browns and Sea Trout to 3 lb as well so that seems to be the magic figure. So in the 'real' world it would normally be safe to fish them.

That said, I now wonder if my 'dropped' fish are these fine hooks opening when the fish is hooked but re-setting so they look ok on losing the fish ? The bigger more powerful fish just opened them and this was obvious.

On re-visiting the B100's I like them - hook point slightly offset can't be bad. Will be using these bad boys incase a 6 pounder comes along !  :z7

L

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #196 on: 13/04/2013 at 10:03 »
Scott

Thats a bonny fish Scott, nice one :z16 in cracking condition as well, loving the blue cheeks. Welcome to the forum by the way :z16
This casting at a small pod or solitary feeders seems to be the way at the moment. Doesn't leave much room for error :z6
Don't you just love a challenge. :z18

Sandy

PS. well done Noel, i guess i'm falling behind now :z10 roll on Monday :z3

Loxiafan

« Reply #197 on: 13/04/2013 at 10:52 »
One of the things PP asked me was if I measured the fish. I didn't but am now wishing I had given it not being at fighting weight !

However, I did take pics with rod and reel as scale. The first female join in my rod is pretty much bang on 25.5 inches to the edge of the Hydros II :

Here is the bad boy again for reference:

His nose isn't quite up to the reel but flat edge of tail is past the rod join. Not sure what part of tail you measure to ( tip in Marine Lab  :wink) so would appreciate what you guys that do measure think. I know it cant be dead accurate I make him around 25"" and at least 24"" ?

Tape measure in my bag today !

Cheers,

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #198 on: 13/04/2013 at 11:13 »
Lindzer,

Will you get yerself out fishing!!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #199 on: 13/04/2013 at 11:40 »
I'd give you 25" nose to centre of tail (if not a little bit more) that would keep in well with my own PB which was 24" nose to centre of tail but in better condition with a bit more girth being a June fish. Both are the same weight.

Now all you have to do is catch him again in August :z16

Sandy

Iain Cameron

« Reply #200 on: 13/04/2013 at 17:05 »
First salmon on a Dry!

Interesting day on the river today. Caught up with Rob in the morning, a few casts, no fishes.

Took a wander in the increasingly windy (and cold) condtions looking for some rising fish, having abandoned earlier attempts at nymphing.

Drinking coffee, I spotted a wee fish rising. Put a DHE more or less in his view, and his big brother nailed it sweet as you like:

Lovely trout, 18 inches (about 2lb?) - first trout of the season! hurrah!

This was the wee guy I thought I'd been aiming at - it's so much easier when you think it is a little chap. I got him eventually!

Back to the coffee, and despite the wind, a lot of beasties floating downstream. MId water, in a bit of a wavy chop, a big  fish , I mean BIG! was heading and tailing for the LDOs or MBs or whatever the heck they were. Was rising quite steadily, and clearly taking beasties off the top.

Ok, so had to have a go at him. First couple of tries put him down; stopped, waited, he came again... DHE in his lane... sweet as a nut he nailed it and went deep. Very heavy, very silver, very shiny brown trou... oh bugger, I've hooked a big salmon on the dry (trout tippet, 4lb.... gulp.)

Was of course geared up for trouting, with 5wt helios and 4lb tippet. Somewhat nervously I had to hang for a long time, it just kept sounding, crossing the stream, and finally sulking a rod's length away. Couldn't bully it, and had to jump in baw deep to try scoop it into trout net...  Got it eventually, with some jubilation! DHE firmly in lower jaw. It had rolled a bit and had tippet round its maxiliary, so I thought I'd snip the flee before photos... blooming fish rolled, kicked, stuck the DHE in my finger and escaped.... doh!!! Oh well, no pics...
apart from this bloody pic

oh, and a few scales left over in the net.

Size? probably 30" or so (just shorter than my arm) so probably what, 8lb or so?

Kelt or Springer? Well, I had a kelt on April 1st. Today's fish was solid, shiny, purple hued, and had that nice thick body shape; so I'm going for a fresh fish. I had it in my hand and it was solid.

Great fun on a 5wt - and not too often I'm going to sight fish, target, hook and land a salmon on a dry!

Loxiafan

« Reply #201 on: 13/04/2013 at 17:14 »
Well done Iain, good trout and especially the Salmon on a DHE ! Paul Procter caught two salmon kkkk-kelts (sorry have trouble saying it now) on a DHE yesterday or the day before. I suppose you have some scales you can give to Jamie.

Well, well, well, so Salmon do feed in freshwater  :z8 Salmon on the dry fly indeed !  :z16

L

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #202 on: 13/04/2013 at 17:18 »
Well done iain :z16

Sounds like a fresh fish to me, Kelts don't usually shed their scales very easily, and those look like they came off very easily if they were in the net :z14
Who needs a DH rod all you need is a DHE fly  :z4 :z4

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #203 on: 13/04/2013 at 17:36 »
Well done Iain getting the big fella to the bank. I had a kelt take a dry fly a few years back. I didn't get a close look as it sawed through the tippet in quick time but it was early on in the season and well above Alford so I guess it must have been a kelt.

Irvine

Noel Kelly

« Reply #204 on: 13/04/2013 at 18:49 »
That's some day Iain  :z16

Scott Cumming

« Reply #205 on: 13/04/2013 at 19:02 »
Well done Iain, I've had quite a few kelts on the dry but never a fresh fish.

I arrived on the Don at 12:15 and was welcomed with a steady trickle of ­­LDO’s  but no sign of any trout.  Around 1:30 I noticed a nice trout 30ft upstream and only a foot or so out from my bank. I waded into position and waited, it soon came up again, quickly covering the trout it took my dry with confidence - fish on! After a decent fight he was on the bank, my biggest of the season so far at 24” a bit lean but to be expected. I fished until 4pm catching another 2 around the lb mark and a nice trout at 19”

24'' Brown caught on the dry.

A nice plump 19''er safely returned.

Cheers
Scott

Iain Goolager

« Reply #206 on: 13/04/2013 at 19:26 »
Excellent stuff guys  :z16

Iain,
as I was reading through your post I thought that due to the scales coming off in the net then I'd place my money on it being a fresh fish (I see Sandy beat me to that one).
Well done on the other trout too.

Nice fish as usual Scott, I do like the girth on the 'smaller' fish, quality.

Well us boys upriver were wondering what was happening elsewhere. On the beat I was on things looked promising as at 13:20 there was a mini  hatch of olives and MB's which brought up a fish.....just the one mind, but the DHE winkled him out.

Not too much longer after that the weather changed and only a sparse trickle of upwings were seen now and again. No more fish were sighted  :z8

All you big fish hunters look away now......

Still, that's the first fish to the dry so at least we're off.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #207 on: 13/04/2013 at 19:51 »
Awesome fish Scott you're consistency in finding these large fish is very impressive  :z16

Lovely pic Iain, my new camera was here when I got home it seems pretty good.

I was out today very near where Iain goo was fishing. Got there for 1 and a march brown landed on my hand as I was pulling on my waders. A trickle of mb's when I reached the water which had increased to a thick hatch by time I reached the first pool. Seen 2 trout rising as I approached, covered the better one which took, jumped and off.. Bout a lb so not a disaster. The wind was increasing by the minute and quickly got so blowy that if there were 100 fish rising I wouldn't have been able to see them or my fly in the wind whipped water. Searched for a sheltered area but didn't really find one. Met up with Iain and we had a good bitching session bout shite aberdeen weather conditions and the beats we probably should have tried today.  :z6
Tomorrow's mission find some sheltered spots cause its forecast to blow harder than today.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #208 on: 13/04/2013 at 19:56 »
Awesome fish Scott your consistency in finding these large fish is very impressive  :z16

Seconded :z14 :z14 :z14

I need more practice to get my Trout eyes back :z3

Sandy

Geoff Gill

« Reply #209 on: 13/04/2013 at 20:02 »
Some cracking fish being caught guys. Can't wait to get back from offshore and maybe enjoy some days on the river.
 :z14

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com