Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

danbruce

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #180 on: 12/04/2013 at 18:51 »
Managed out on the Don today between 2pm and 4pm, steady stream of March browns and LDO's during the 2 hours i was there. The trout weren't showing much interest in the duns so i decided to sit and watch for a while. I chatted to one of the guys fishing for Salmon (with out a net  :wink) who said the there werent any decent trout there and the only rising fish were small. I said that you never know and even what looks like small rises are worth covering. Was then told to "stop trying to teach yer granny to suck eggs" which was wierd, always nice to bump into someone when your fishing though.  :X1

Any way determined to get off the mark i spotted a small rise mid river and just on the limit of my casting distance, after a few goes  with a DHE i swapped to a CDC Dun, first cast out and a nice nice sized trout took my offering confidently. Unfortunately when i hooked up, the fish bolted straight for me and i couldn't take up the slack line....fish off, bugger!

I decided to move up stream slightly and sit for a while, i noticed a few trout moving to something just sub surface, giving themselves my causing areas of the water to buldge. Off went the CDC Dun and on went a Waterhen Bloa. Casting from just below the sighted fish i covered it twice but no joy, third time lucky and fish on, it made a dive for the river bed and after a few seconds out popped the hook, bugger!

2 Decent fish (for me anyway) dropped, a little disappointing but at least i am getting myself in the right places and presenting the flies well enough. Maybe get another crack at them over the weekend if the weather holds.

:z18
Dan

Noel Kelly

« Reply #181 on: 12/04/2013 at 19:47 »
Dan think I may have been tackling up as you arrived? Handsome chap oozing charisma but possibly slightly dodgy stripy wooly hat  :z16 sound familiar  :z4
Well my times are similar, there were lots of olives and a salmon fisher with no net.
My results are similar as well. Seen 3 risers hooked 2 landed 1. That one was bout the lb one I lost was closer to 2. The risers I seen were all in a pod other than that walked to the top of the beat but seen nowt. A great afternoon, how good is it to be back walking the banks and targeting rising brownies :z16 looking forward to tomorrow and a walk along an old favourite beat  :z18

danbruce

« Reply #182 on: 12/04/2013 at 19:52 »
Dan think I may have been tackling up as you arrived? Handsome chap oozing charisma but possibly slightly dodgy stripy wooly hat  :z16 sound familiar  :z4

Sorry Noel if i had known it was you i would have stopped for a chat, will know for next time. Glad you got some action and landed one. :z16

Loxiafan

« Reply #183 on: 12/04/2013 at 20:04 »

Well done on your PB, a cracking Don Brown Trout. I've looked through my big trout pics and there isn't a red spot on any. I never bother taking photos of sea trout kelts wish I did now - might help educate you know who!

:z4 Aye, might start doing that too ! Thanks for the comments, a fish of a lifetime for me but "an also ran" for you ! Actually, I should have probably measured it rather than weigh - will use the photo as a reference against rod and reel position.

Dan, well done on the hook ups - you've gotta be in it too win it !

Iain, aye JT Olive is temporarily 'relegated' but only cos the types of rises were indicative of fish taking something just subsurface.

Cheers,

Linz

Noel Kelly

« Reply #184 on: 12/04/2013 at 20:05 »
Sorry Noel if i had known it was you i would have stopped for a chat, will know for next time. Glad you got some action and landed one. :z16

That's ok dan you didn't get much chance! It wasn't a race or anything obviously but if you'd tried to get up the river before me I may just have rugby tackled you as you passed :z4 not sure what the adaa rule book says bout that!  :z18

danbruce

« Reply #185 on: 12/04/2013 at 20:07 »
if you'd tried to get up the river before me I may just have rugby tackled you as you passed

:z4 :z4 :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #186 on: 12/04/2013 at 20:13 »
Was then told to "stop trying to teach yer granny to suck eggs" which was wierd, always nice to bump into someone when your fishing though.  :X1

The same guys were telling me that when I caught the biggie (and lost a decent one). If I'd taken the advice on the rises I'd have caught feck all.

Tell him to F off and buy a net - how does he intend to safely land a fish (he has to return) on steep banks  :z8 If he tails it chances are it will knack the vertebrae. Should be a rule, period, but all bravado I guess ?  I've generally got little time for these guys :roll

L

Scott Cumming

« Reply #187 on: 12/04/2013 at 20:29 »
Very little fly life on the don this afternoon, managed a couple on the dry, best at 20" similar colouration to Lindsays cracker yesterday

Scott

Loxiafan

« Reply #188 on: 12/04/2013 at 20:37 »
Nice Brown Trout Scott and in decent condition too !  :z16

Noel, well done, off to a flyer hopefully  :z18

Anyone else out ? Iain, did you manage to skive off at 12 to try your top secret adapter dry, sooper dooper improved curvature industrial strength emerger hooks  :wink  :z7

I feel like I missed a good day today but fishing was red carded, plus the 3 valiums I took last night hadn't worn off !

Lindsay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #189 on: 12/04/2013 at 20:37 »
Hmmm can't see any red spots. Another sea trout kelt then :z4 cracking fish scott well done!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #190 on: 12/04/2013 at 21:28 »
Didn't get away at 12 Lindzer  :mad 11:59, shout for equipment  :z6

was on the water - further upstream than you guys - for 2:15 when the 1st upwing appeared, these trickled for 15 min's (I was watch checking) then reduced in trickleage for the next 30 min's before finishing in a poor finale.

I never saw one fish rise, not a one. I chose two pools which had sections of likely water in between and never saw one rise. What an anti climax. I even had my bamboo with me.

1st afternoon on the Don and not a rising fish in sight, to add insult to injury I threw on a nymph in disgust and across and downed the blaggard and hooked a fish that although not huge would have been most welcome on the dry. I was so annoyed that I slid him back and packed up (well ok - had a lip on but also an eagle eye on the water in hope as I stormed back to the car).

There were no MB's and I wasn't close enough to be certain of the model of upright.

Don't think I'll be out tomorrow which is grating and I have decided that this season is going to be a dry fly and camera year, nothing subsurface - it bores me! (spiders to showing fish are excluded from that)

Well done to you guys out today  :z16

Noel & Dan - get a room!

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #191 on: 12/04/2013 at 21:37 »
Didn't get away at 12 Lindzer  :mad 11:59, shout for equipment  :z6

Don't think I'll be out tomorrow which is grating and I have decided that this season is going to be a dry fly and camera year, nothing subsurface - it bores me! (spiders to showing fish are excluded from that)

I have spent at total of 4 hours nymphing on the Don without so much as  a knock, and at times I have almost looked like I know what I am doing  :z7  I even did an hour and a half with the French Leader on the Helios yesterday (difficult !) and was all looking good, could see how it could be effective but just no action. In contrast, most fish I have seen rising that I have cast too I have at least hooked. Says it all really. Spiders to showing fish is fair game though, maybe even more difficult (in take detection).

I will be oot, don't know where. Off to tie some "Don proof" DHE's !  :wink

Lindsay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #192 on: 12/04/2013 at 21:42 »
Good Luck tomorrow  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #193 on: 12/04/2013 at 21:57 »
Linds,
congratulations on your cracking troot, i just saw the thread tonight after a blank day on the Dee chasing the silver vermin. The limestone lochs in Durness must be full of sea trout kelts because I have been catching fish up there for years and none of them ever had a red spot.

Do not let nonsense like the comment that you saw put a damper on the fish of a lifetime.

Well done again.

Eddie :z14 :z14 :z14

Loxiafan

« Reply #194 on: 12/04/2013 at 22:34 »
Thanks Ed !

I have cancelled Monday mornings therapy session !

Yep, must have been a lot os Sea Trout in Loch Leven ( and the river) when I were a lad  :wink

L

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com