Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #165 on: 12/04/2013 at 08:37 »
The committee member may have recalled these probably had a lot of red spots so were..... errr.... obviously.... 'real' brown trout where the 'indigenous' trout were not :z7

That would sit well with me too, I've caught my fair share of good Don brownies and that is no Sea-trout Kelt, the big Don brownies hardly ever have red spots, in fact all my photos are like the ones mike has posted, not a red spot in Sight.
Whoever spoke to you is a bit of Tard and obviously has a problem with the old green eyed monster. There are lots of old wives tales about the fact that Don Brownies have a blue sheen which means they spend time in the Estuary, ie the fabled Slob Trout, this is also bollocks, a few years ago we did some research with scales from fish and even Fish that looked positively blue in the cheeks and silver in the sides turned out to be River fish that had spent little or no time in saltwater.
The biggest one we checked is My PB which funnily enough also weighed 4lb 14oz, it had no red spots at all, was 24" long and a good girth, she was a female that was 11-12years old and had spent no time in the sea at all, the growth rings were completely consistant with spending its whole life in the river.

There is no doubt Your fish is brownie :z16 and an absolute bute, A classic Native Don Brownie :z16

Sandy

Geoff Gill

« Reply #166 on: 12/04/2013 at 08:37 »
Cracking fish Lindsay,

Well deserved fish with the time and effort youve put in.
Forget about the sea trout comment, im still smiling about the PB i caught this time last year  :z4

:z18

Loxiafan

« Reply #167 on: 12/04/2013 at 09:09 »
Thanks for all those comments, especially Mike with the photo examples, Sandy and Hamish's comments - Hamish, I think they may have stocked with Loch Leven strain - as you know don't tend to have red spots either !

I have other less good photos of it which I will upload tonight. I am adamant it is a Brown Trout on this evidence:

1) Brown tinge's to gill plates, extensive on lower maxilla and also that butter-brown evident on belly line (just visible). The fish's back was brown in hue, not terribly clear in the photo I posted, but there are others. A typical Sea Trout (kelt) would have much less spotting, not extending below lateral line and belly would be pure white.

2) The spotting is not typical of sea going trutta - it is extensive, well marked and extends well below the lateral line.

3) As Iain alluded, it was caught on a size 14 Dry in April - not a clincher, but how many 5 lb Sea Trout Kelts are caught on the dry fly ?

4) Male fish - kype present ? Do most sea going trutta males not die after spawing ?  :z8

5) It is not a Sea Trout it is a river adapted trutta !

Yes, there can be exceptions but I am still really bealing about this. It was put he would check with "his people" and let me know ! Well thanks very much but I already know and it seems opinion on here from "my people" shows parity with my own view.

Hope Paul P gets back on this as he possibly has most experience across UK and in Scotland.

Lindsay

PS I still can't seem to upload photos due to a Java prob.

Loxiafan

« Reply #168 on: 12/04/2013 at 09:15 »
lindsay
can I use your pic on the ADAA web/facebook  - be nice to show the quality of brown trout in the River Don.
locations etc never disclosed (but would show the fly, if that's OK?)

Can do dude on the 'condition' you tell your "leaders" it is a Brown Trout !  :wink  :z7

I'll try and take a better pic of the flee though  :oops

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #169 on: 12/04/2013 at 09:31 »

PS I still can't seem to upload photos due to a Java prob.

Is anybody else experiencing problems? It is working fine for me.

You can send me any photos that you would like uploaded Lindsay and I can do it for you.

Best wishes
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #170 on: 12/04/2013 at 09:55 »
Just had it suggested from someone on ADAA commitee that it is a Sea Trout kelt ? !

Discuss. I know it's not and am surprised at that suggestion tbh.

Lindsay

Green eyed monster perhaps?? :X2 :X2

Don't remember a single red spot on my trout, even on the reverse of the picture, does that mean its a sea trout? Anyway there's not a bit of difference between sea and brown trout! Not when I last talked to professor Andy Walker, ex of Faskally.

I echo the Feck off statement!  It may be slim but its had little chance to fatten up this season so far a super fish  :z12 :z16 :z14

Mike Barrio

« Reply #171 on: 12/04/2013 at 09:59 »
Green eyed monster perhaps?? :X2 :X2

Or blue spotted :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #172 on: 12/04/2013 at 10:01 »
Paul Procter has very kindly responded with Brown Trout every day of the week ! Still a bit thin and not back to tip top condition but he says he would expect this for some of the larger specimens at this time of year.

Good enough for me, what a nice helpful guy.

Lindsay

Loxiafan

« Reply #173 on: 12/04/2013 at 10:05 »
Here is Scott Cummings 6 lb Brown Trout in May ( his second biggest last season) still showing signs of "thinness" :

Lindsay

Scott Cumming

« Reply #174 on: 12/04/2013 at 10:36 »
Lindsay

Well done on your PB, a cracking Don Brown Trout. I've looked through my big trout pics and there isn't a red spot on any. I never bother taking photos of sea trout kelts wish I did now - might help educate you know who!

Well done again and look forward to more photos.

Best get myself down to the river, looks like things are heating up on the don.

Cheers
Scott Cumming

Mike Barrio

« Reply #175 on: 12/04/2013 at 10:41 »
Hi Scott,
Welcome to the forum :z16

That is a cracking trout!

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #176 on: 12/04/2013 at 11:44 »
Hi Scott,
  1st time I've actually seen the picture :z16

Nice one, hopefully see you out n'about.

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #177 on: 12/04/2013 at 11:47 »
Lindzer,

you're taking this much too seriously  ............stop faffin' about and get a JT olive wet (or should it be a PP fly now that you are are a trophy hunter).

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #178 on: 12/04/2013 at 12:04 »
Lindzer,

you're taking this much too seriously  ............stop faffin' about and get a JT olive wet (or should it be a PP fly now that you are are a trophy hunter).

Iain

Agreed  :z4  :z4  :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #179 on: 12/04/2013 at 14:11 »
Welcome to the forum Scott, nice fish  :z16 (Please don't mention waders  :z4)

This is a big fish I got in 2009 being released, not the best pic but only on I have at work

No red spots on this chap from memory, will check another pic when I get home.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com