Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #150 on: 11/04/2013 at 23:23 »
Just had it suggested from someone on ADAA commitee that it is a Sea Trout kelt ? !

ZX2

Noel Kelly

« Reply #151 on: 11/04/2013 at 23:35 »
 :shock tell him to Fek off and get his specs changed  :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #152 on: 11/04/2013 at 23:37 »
Well I hope he reads this thread, I did say that it is defintely a brownie and also that no one one here for one minute suggested to me a Sea Trout kelt - talk about a dampner to the end of a great day. :mad Rather worried by that  :z6

L

Iain Goolager

« Reply #153 on: 11/04/2013 at 23:37 »

Was it caught on one of these Bloody Butchers?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #154 on: 11/04/2013 at 23:42 »

Was it caught on one of these Bloody Butchers?

You've changed.

Loxiafan

« Reply #155 on: 11/04/2013 at 23:44 »
Apparently it doesn't have red spots a defining feature of Brown Trout.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #156 on: 11/04/2013 at 23:59 »
Dude I'm no expert but I've had a quick look back through the forum at some don trout pics, and if red spots are a must then half the brownies we've posted on this forum are actually sea trout!

Look at this page that I picked at random, 3 trout and not a red spot in sight!   :roll
http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2655.15

Here's another from years ago, those hands are either Richardo or PP I think, neither of whom would recognise a brown trout.  :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #157 on: 12/04/2013 at 00:07 »
The 'red spot' thing is bollocks, utter bollocks.

My best from last season, 3 pound wild BROWN TROUT, not a red spot is sight:

So it's a Sea Trout ?  :z7

As a boy that grew up in Fife, I am familiar with the Loch Leven strain of trout. No red spots. In fact, Howietown, who supplied the stockies to ADAA ( who then stuck them in the Don) were famous for breeding this strain. Not sure if they still do.

I am totally dismayed by this. Ruined my day.

Lindsay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #158 on: 12/04/2013 at 00:16 »
Dude that's a lovely pic :z16 what a beautiful trout! Don't mind that silly billy Lindsay and definitely don't let his ill informed opinion ruin your day!!! Now I'm just dying to know who it is! Right sleep time!

Loxiafan

« Reply #159 on: 12/04/2013 at 00:25 »
I have one of Scott Cumming pics from ADAA forum, 6 pound Brown Trout from last season. Can't seem to upload it for some reason. But rest assured, looks like my one from today and NO red spots !

L

Mike Barrio

« Reply #160 on: 12/04/2013 at 00:37 »
Don't lose any sleep over it Lindsay ..... somebody else will :z4

Cheers
Mike

Loxiafan

« Reply #161 on: 12/04/2013 at 00:44 »
Don't lose any sleep over it Lindsay ..... somebody else will :z4

I get you Mike, but it really is a fish of a lifetime for me and to dismiss off hand as a Sea Trout kelt is astonishing to say the least. I have sent it to Paul Procter. If he says it is a Brown Trout, then good enough for me regradless whether this individual has caught hundreds of Sea Trout kelts or not. I am not a betting man but if PP does respond I'd stake my life on it that he confirms Brownie  :wink

Linz

Mike Barrio

« Reply #162 on: 12/04/2013 at 01:28 »
A few River Don Brownies from my files, some with Paul and Richard, one of Bri's, one of Ben's, one of Peter's, one of Chris's ....... not a lot of red spots :wink

Iain Cameron

« Reply #163 on: 12/04/2013 at 07:45 »
lindsay

can I use your pic on the ADAA web/facebook  - be nice to show the quality of brown trout in the River Don.
locations etc never disclosed (but would show the fly, if that's OK?)

cheers
iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #164 on: 12/04/2013 at 08:21 »
I get you Mike, but it really is a fish of a lifetime for me and to dismiss off hand as a Sea Trout kelt is astonishing to say the least. I have sent it to Paul Procter. If he says it is a Brown Trout, then good enough for me regradless whether this individual has caught hundreds of Sea Trout kelts or not. I am not a betting man but if PP does respond I'd stake my life on it that he confirms Brownie  :wink

Linz

It's a smashing fish which although a wee bit thin from the photo, is unlikely to be a Sea Trout kelt IMHO. A scale sample would most probably confirm it either way but it's early season, it's been buggeringly cold and any fish of that size is likely to be a smidgen closer to 'racing weight' than anything else.
The confusion by the ADAA committee member may be due to the afore mentioned clubs former passion for putting non-Don strain stockies in the ADAA beats. The committee member may have recalled these probably had a lot of red spots so were..... errr.... obviously.... 'real' brown trout where the 'indigenous' trout were not :z7

Don't fret or allow someone else's views f*ck up what is a special catch for you :z16

H :cool:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com