Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #120 on: 10/04/2013 at 22:07 »
Hopefully the first of many for you this season! Cracking flies btw.

Already had a few dude, have been making the effort !  :wink

L

Ben Dixon

« Reply #121 on: 10/04/2013 at 22:22 »
Not good mate although considering conditions I think you did a damn good job  :z16

I'll be salmon fishing on Monday unless the weather changes considerably.

Cheers

Ben

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #122 on: 10/04/2013 at 23:47 »

I am think of flooging all the other shit and getting an Access 904 #5 !

About to come cross to the light side :z16 Been down the same road, although never got into roachpoles for fly fishing :z4
9ft has always been my personal max for comfort. tried 3's for many moons but now its 4wt or 5wt's depending on action :z16

These days I have an awesome Plastic 2pc 9ft 4wt fast action and a proper rod in a 3pc 8ft 5wt Cane med/fast. I fish both with the 4wt SLX :z18 So far its the best idea i've ever tried and i'm comfortable with my fishing gear, for once. :z12

BTW i'm deeply in love with the Cane and it will see most of the use this year, infact i intend to try and use nothing else, so we shall see.

Have a look at some of the super sweet second hand rods kicking around, don't know if H is still selling his B11X, it is the ideal rod for the river :z16 Or build yourself something nice, you tie a nice fly, so a rod would be easy :z18

Otherwise Lovely fish :z16 I'm going to have a go tomorrow on the Don, not sure where to head yet :z8 but i guess i'll wing it in the morning.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #123 on: 11/04/2013 at 00:01 »
Cracking report and photos Lindsay ....... nice trout too! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #124 on: 11/04/2013 at 07:28 »
Have a look at some of the super sweet second hand rods kicking around, don't know if H is still selling his B11X, it is the ideal rod for the river :z16

I am still selling it  :z10

Iain Cameron

« Reply #125 on: 11/04/2013 at 07:47 »
Back to the reliable Access #4, to be honest I am think of flooging all the other shit and getting an Access 904 #5 !

Cracking fish Lindsay - not been the nicest week to be on the river, weather wise, so good effort.
 Shame about the big fish, but you know where he is now!!

Can I have first dibs on your 10ft 4wt when you flog it!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #126 on: 11/04/2013 at 18:08 »
I spent a few hours down the river this afternoon, from lunchtime through till about 4.

Lots of flies coming off, mainly LDO's with a few of these scattered in amongst them

Not a fish to bee seen rising, so i set off with a March brown dry on the dropper and a Nymph on the point and went searching.
After a lot of nothing i sat and had lunch, the flies kept coming which is great, but still no risers :z6 I even sat at the point i though most likely to produce a wee rise, still nothing......

So i'm making my way up through some pocket water when i get to the tail of the pool above the streamy bit i'm fishing and i spot what could have been a small rise, or the swirl from a rock, unsure i sit down and wait, the next LDO that floats down is being observed rather closely when up pops a large head and the fly is gone, a smooth back and a tail the 2/3rd's the size of my hand, barely a ripple except in my chest where it is all suddenly going mad. So off comes the nymph and on goes a Waterhen Bloa. The fish is only about 4 ft out from the bank so a careful cast puts the flies out......Nothing..... did i spook him :z10 Lack of confidence in the heat of the moment, so i sit and wistfully watch pondering what i did wrong, did he not like the flies, was it the orange line (i'm still on the nymph rig and not swapped to dryfly mode) did he see me even though i'm crouched on the bank about 10ft behind him :z8 Lots to ponder when A small flash about 4ft further out and i see the tail again. This time i wait.............. after about 90secs i cast again somewhere between where the two rises were, up he comes and the waterhen bloa is quite confidently Consumed. Bang he's on and going mental, what a way to christen the new 8ft Cane :z16 After several spectacular leaps, i lost count at 8  :shock each bringing its own minor heartattack and desperately trying to keep him out of the rapids with some well applied side strain I managed to get him up to the bank, a good 20-22" long if not a little more.. Now here starts my issue, i have only my small handnet which is great when you are wading, but when you are 2ft up from the water and kneeling on the grass its not so clever :z10 So with the rod in my left hand and the net in my outstretched right i lean down to try and net him... this he is not to amused at and makes a final Leap...... Pop goes the dropper and i'm left staring at the water trying to regain some sort of composure :cry.

Awesome.... Probably the best Fish i've hooked since i came home, brilliant fight more like a sea-trout and i got to see him up close a beautiful golden brownie with the classic Don Blue blusher, Only thing i didn't get to do was land him so i could measure him properly and get a Photo to claim a decent fish :X1
So i'm still to get off the mark, but things are looking up, and so it seems are the fish :z7

But I now I know where he lives :wink Roll on the warmer weather next week :z18

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #127 on: 11/04/2013 at 18:12 »
Great stuff Sandy :z16

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #128 on: 11/04/2013 at 18:54 »
Great report sandy :z16 hope you get to give that trout another opportunity to join the forum gallery!

Loxiafan

« Reply #129 on: 11/04/2013 at 20:54 »
Nice report Sandy and well done on the hard bit, getting him to take !  :z16 As you know I have had mixed results recently...

On to today. Very promising weather, arrived about 1pm to scads of LDO's and quickly found steady risers in some slack water next to a main crease. Today I opted for Tiemco 212Y's for my DHE's. First cast, fish on, around two pounds in weight as he jumped twice. All going well. Then dreaded recoil ! Looked at the DHE, complety opened ! Right phuk this, I said raking about till I thankfully found a shitty size 14 DHE on a Kamasan B100, and on it went with liberal Gink to the Deer Hair. I sat back and the 'big boy' thought he'd start on the LDO's. Covered him a few times, but must have lined him as he went down.

Sat for about 40 minutes when I noticed dimpling rises on the edge of the crease right in the slack water. This looked like the type of rise a parr would make. Third cast he gulped the DHE and went mental, but no jumping ( at all - sign of a big fish ??) ! I could feel the weight of the fish and had to sidestrain him from his bolt hole a massive boulder midstream. All the times saying please hold, please hold to the B100. The fish then stripped line from the reel and took me down in to the next pool. A Salmon angler who had turned up asked me if I needed any help and then proceeded to watch ( more of this later !). My thoughts now turned to the leader and tippet ( 6ft 2X Orvis SS tapered, with 3 feet 3x, 2 ft 4x and 1.5 feet 5x) and all the knots. More "please hold's" ! I managed to work the fish upstream and could see it was really big and I thought I was going in to shock ! Reached for me net and it was tangled up in the Orvis stretchy stuff. So I shouted up to the Salmon boy " can I borrow yer net mate" to which he replied " I dinnae carry one" ! So when he asked me if I needed any help earlier, just what did he mean ? !  :z8 The net finally untwisted form the Brian May guitar lead and I got the fish in. Massive ! The Salmon boy said well done and buggered off. I weighed him in the McLean and it was just below the 5 pound line, certainly no less than 4 lb 14 oz. I would have liked a photo of me with the fish but you'll just have to make do with this:

I only took a couple as my first thought was to get the fish back and away. He took about a minute to steady himself but off he went strong. A fish of a lifetime for me, no doubt.

Here is the TMC212Y that opened and the 'heroic' B100 (debarbed) that held firm:

I had just ordered a whole bunch of 212Y's from Lathkill last night but when they arrive they are going straight on the bay of E. Thankfully I also ordered a shitload of B100's and have some here meantime.

I must thank Iain Goolager. I spooled my new GT90 #4 this morning (which I used today) and attached a RM mincon with Iain's whip finish SBS he sent me. Held firm dude !  :z16 The Helios 104 with the GT90 was great !

Big March Brown hatch today at 3pm on the nose but very little surface interest from the trout.

Lindsay

danbruce

« Reply #130 on: 11/04/2013 at 21:05 »
Well done Lindsay, that is a monster  :z16

Iain Cameron

« Reply #131 on: 11/04/2013 at 21:05 »
Fantastic fish Lindsay, unbelievable!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #132 on: 11/04/2013 at 21:06 »
Awesome fish dude :z16

Well done that man :z14

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #133 on: 11/04/2013 at 21:07 »
Lindz,

nice trout, well done.  :z16
Real pity about the big trout (takes a bit of skill to handle those boys but that will come  :X2 :z7 :z4)

There are some hooks that I wouldn't use when there is a possibility, however remote, of a decent wildie and the 2200 is included. I do like the Tiemco 212Y and it hasn't let me down with fish to the 3 lb mark (rainbows) but would I'd have to be uber giddy to intentionally target a large river brown with a fly tied on one.

If you would like to trial a 9 for a 5 Access give me a shout.

Sandy,

cracking photo  :z16 but a spotty trout lying alongside a cane wand would have been even better.

River Don? Landing nets?  another case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Realistically fishing without a long handled net will lose you some decent fish over the season, get the blood pressure in the head and neck rocketing as you contort yourself upside down amongst the dockings and nettles & possibly get you a soaking to boot.............  I have tried on a few occasions to carry different net types with a greater reach but always revert to a short handled version?  

Surface activity may not be great but as always at this time of the season patience will generally provide something worthwhile to aim at............ I hate you guys that get down to the river of an afternoon  :mad :wink

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #134 on: 11/04/2013 at 21:12 »
Lindz,

you posted as I was writing and damn it that was something that I was going to question in said post.....................the reason for using fine wire crap on DHE's?

all mine are tied on Kamakazee B100's (until I have in my hand a suitable barbless type - which I think I've found).

I use the 212Y's on emerging CDC patterns for lightness and as said these are for stocked rainbows or smaller wild fish.

Anyway, I'm so glad that you caught a decent fish, well done you bute!

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com