Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: River Don 2013
« Reply #105 on: 09/04/2013 at 19:33 »
Guys forecast is for snow tomorrow and Thursday. I am off this week so great weather next week will be welcome, but too late  :mad Glad I didn't go to Kemnay - nearly did as was heading over from Orvis, but last year fly was disappointing and unpredictable there ( not much use for a dry fly fisherman !).

It really was hardcore today, even the Mackerel guys wimped out by 2pm !  :z4

L

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #106 on: 09/04/2013 at 19:36 »

After much searching, finally found a fish rising sporadically mid stream. It seemed to be taking the odd March Brown and/or bigger LDO's. Thigh deep wade, some 'freestyle' casting in the wind and finally nailed the bugger on a size 12 Jingler. It was only an oz under a pound but a wee cracker,

Must be the first proper Caught Broonie off the Don by the Forum Circle?

Wahay the season is Officially off and running, roll on the warm southerly :z16

Sandy

Loxiafan

« Reply #107 on: 09/04/2013 at 19:40 »

Didn't Rob have a 3 pounder whilst Mackerel fishing ?

L

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #108 on: 09/04/2013 at 19:42 »

Loxiafan

« Reply #109 on: 09/04/2013 at 19:45 »

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #110 on: 10/04/2013 at 08:36 »

Wahay the season is Officially off and running, roll on the warm southerly :z16

Sandy

And an inch and a quarter copper tube is not proper Brownie fishing?  :wink

I saw the fish rise and covered it with the tube, Ginked up of course  :X2

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #111 on: 10/04/2013 at 08:40 »
At least you got one :z16

Even if it may have been on an Alex style Adaptor dry :z7.

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #112 on: 10/04/2013 at 09:14 »
I saw the fish rise and covered it with the tube, Ginked up of course  :X2

'kin hell :! That's a shit load of Gink Rob :shock  :z7  :wink

Ben Dixon

« Reply #113 on: 10/04/2013 at 09:35 »
I've got tubes tied with gold, orange, yellow & black that I fish for trout.  Don't look quite like a Willie Gunn but I'd say they were legitimate trout flies.  About the intention for me.

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #114 on: 10/04/2013 at 10:31 »
I've got tubes tied with gold, orange, yellow & black that I fish for trout.  Don't look quite like a Willie Gunn but I'd say they were legitimate trout flies.  About the intention for me.

Ben

The tube in question was a copper tube, gold mylar body (with the hook end left unraveled to cover the hook), black, orange and yellow bucktail tied sparse, with a little more "on top" of the tube than on the bottom, and then gold angel hair through it. By positioning the hook in such a way as to act as a keel, the fly does indeed look very much like a fish swimming.

I have toyed with adding Jungle Cock, but so far not bothered.

The fish seem to approve for once :)

Loxiafan

« Reply #115 on: 10/04/2013 at 19:38 »
An interesting day of 'lessons' for me on the Don today. Mid river from around 12.30 till after 5.30pm but much time spent dossing.

On arrival it was pretty awful. Decided I would suss this nymphing mullarkey so chose the Streamflex Plus (first mistake) and a Barrio #3 GT90. This would give me some flexibility if I decided to switch to dries. I must say this is a fantastic outfit to fish with, casting beautifully and with great feel, but as hard as I worked I couldn't tempt a fish in 2 hours. All through this there was the odd LDO coming off but unlike other days no interest. There were however fecking millions of small black midge/smuts - more of this in a separate post laters !

Ok, decided enough was enough and with conditions against me I clipped off the flashback nymph and subbed for a size 14 DHE leaving on the Waterhen Bloa on a dropper. I lurked about and found a pod of what seemed very small fish in slack water - now, myself and Mr.Goolager have had this conversation about splashy rises etc being dismissed as parr/bandies when in fact they are often decent fish (more of this later). I covered some of these "bulges" and got a fish on pretty much straight away, Waterhen Bloa. It jumped, christ a decent fish of around 1.5 lbs ! Well, kept him on tight, then that horrible feeling of slack line...realising that I still had the extension in the Streamflex ( so 10 foot) and bearing in mind everything I have been saying about 10 footers I took it off to the "not quite as crisp as they'd have you believe" 9' 6 ! I checked my flies - Partridge Classic Spider size 14, opened wide ! Mmmm so what Rob was experiencing last season. Clipped the bugger off !

Cast to another "bulge", bang straight on to the DHE, kept him tight and landed, at 1 lb 12 oz :

Had a wee seat and noticed a splashy rising fish in faster water mid stream where I'd seen a lunker on Monday. Up he came again. And again. Right, game on. Wind very difficult (with a Streamflapp #3) but I got the fly right over him, distance about 45 feet. Wallop, sooked the fly doon then out it came right out the water ! Must have been 5 to 6 lbs I kid you not, certainly a PB by a country mile. Kept him tight, out he came again, still on but as he dived the line recoiled. I thought I was broke (using Maxima Ultra at 3 lb you see) but no the fly was still on. However, on examining it the Varivas 2200 BL-B had opened (bottom fly):

Lessons learned today:

1) Go dry fly fishing whatever the conditions - Who Dares Wins.

2) Leave the Streamflex Plus in the car, better still at home if dry fly fishing !

3) Bin all Varivas 2200BL hooks, regardless how sad it makes you.

4) Bin all Partridge Classic Spider hooks.

5) Nymphing ? Pah !  :z4

Lindsay

Liam Stephen

« Reply #116 on: 10/04/2013 at 19:49 »
Nice fish Lindsay  :z16

Hopefully the first of many for you this season! Cracking flies btw.

Cheers
Liam

Ben Dixon

« Reply #117 on: 10/04/2013 at 20:29 »
Well done Lindsay, nice fish  :z16

Interesting story re the hooks straightening.  What tippet where you using on both flies that straightened?  When trout fishing I would usually expect to break before straightening metal however my Varivas 2200's went the journey some time back after I had a few snap.  I presumed over tempered, seems like they have now gone the opposite way.

Have you got a pic of the WHB for the spider police to inspect?  :z4

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #118 on: 10/04/2013 at 21:26 »
Pffff nightmare Lindsay!! Glad you're getting some action though and that's a nice fish in the pic. Great to hear things are happening despite the weather. Roll on the w end!!

Loxiafan

« Reply #119 on: 10/04/2013 at 21:44 »

Interesting story re the hooks straightening.  What tippet where you using on both flies that straightened?  When trout fishing I would usually expect to break before straightening metal however my Varivas 2200's went the journey some time back after I had a few snap.  I presumed over tempered, seems like they have now gone the opposite way.

Have you got a pic of the WHB for the spider police to inspect?  :z4

Hi Ben,

Hooks 'opened' rather than straightening per se. I pushed the point back ( just to see how soft it was !) so no, no Wat Bloa for spider police ! The bummer is I have got hunners of spiders tied on these fecking hooks ! I do have a 'standby' though, my old spider preference so back to the tying bench.

I was using 3 lb Maxima Green on a 6ft Orvis SS tapered leader. probably about 4 or 5 feet of the Maxima. Whilst I had some tension on the fish it wasn't severe and anyway the Streamflex's tip is like a strand of spaghetti taking all the lunges !  :z4

The biggie was possibly on that limit where sucessful conversion of 'hook ups' can drop. Kicking myself cos I could have waded a bit closer tbh.....

Back to the reliable Access #4, to be honest I am think of flooging all the other shit and getting an Access 904 #5 !

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com