Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Hard Work in Hervey bay
« on: 26/11/2010 at 00:23 »
I've just spent 4 days fishing Hervey Bay at the north of Queenslands Sunshine coast.
I booked November because the weather is predictably good and the Tuna come into the bay to feed :z3
I must have been keeping the Good Scottish weather for a special occasion because it found me :shock

20-25knots wind and lashing rain, the rain came and went over the days but the wind was always there. Thank god i learned how to double haul :cool: It was really hard work for 4 days and on day 3 we called it off after 3 hours it got unsafe :cry

However it was a fantastic experience with a Guide that was as Mad as i am and we persevered to catch a few fish.

This was a common sight

I came home every day soaking wet, wicked good fun, fortunatley it was around 20-21'C

However when we did find some birds there were a few fish with them, and i got to put a proper bend in my 9wt.

This bend resulted in a cracking 4.5kg Mac Tuna, my first proper sized one on the fly, awesome fight, first time i've genuinely been taking into my backing by any fish and it took a good 50m before i had control. :shock

The Polar candies i've spent ages tying work a treat and when i got a "shot" the fish nailed them with such a  force it was amazing.

What got me though, was the fishing, despite the waves and wind, when we got close enough to the school, you could see the fish working the bait in the surface, get a cast across the nearest one and someone behind would rush the fly.

Over the week i had 10 clear Shots in the wind, i managed  to stuff 2 of the casts with tangled line, but had 8 clean casts and hooked and landed 4 Mac tuna from 4kg to 5 kg, The guide seemed to be impressed at the statistics given the conditions, i was pleased as 4 eats = 4 fish all on Barbless hooks :z16

We found a large school of Finny Scad on the last Day so i changed to the 7wt and gave it some abuse with a smaller candy

Bonny fish about 1.5-2kg that go like stink, not a tuna but a healthy predator

I had a wicked time despite the conditions, and i have to go back next year as i have a score to settle with some Longtail's
we saw a few that were in excess of 15kgs and they will eat the fly too, if you can get it in front of them :roll
My mind can only imagine what that is like, the 15mins scrap with a Mac was fantastic fun and arm aching, the guide promises me the Longies will go for an hour+ :shock

If you find yourself in OZ you have to give it a go :z12

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Re: Hard Work in Hervey bay
« Reply #1 on: 26/11/2010 at 01:21 »
You got your tuna Sandy ...... EXCELLENT STUFF! :z16

Now you know what I've been talking about, they hurt don't they! :z4

Awesome report ...... and cool photos, thanks for posting!

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 26/11/2010 at 03:41 »
Great report and an awesome photo of the tuna, the blue on the tuna looks cool   :grin
Nice reel  :wink

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 26/11/2010 at 07:48 »
Sandy I hate you  :z4 :z4 :z4

Well done mate looks cool  :z16

:z18

Jim

Alex Burnett

« Reply #4 on: 26/11/2010 at 09:25 »
Nice one Sandy :z16

Looks like you had a good few days despite the weather. :wink :z4 :z4

Alex

John Reid

« Reply #5 on: 26/11/2010 at 15:20 »
Great report Sandy.  :z16

Looks like you had a ball even although the weather was a bit extreme.

I will hopefully get to give saltwater (warm climate) fishing in the near future.

The longies will be something else.
 :z3

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 26/11/2010 at 20:27 »
Great post Sandy and lovely looking fish.

Pity about the weather and having to cut the 3rd day short.

I told you barbless was the way to go  :wink

What's next?

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #7 on: 27/11/2010 at 03:34 »

What's next?

North island NZ in March. Might try to ignore the Trout :wink And catch some of the underfished SWFF.
We have a couple of days booked with a guide , with an eye to Sharks and Kingfish :z18
Not sure Dan quite appreciates what he is letting himself in for, but it will be a hoot.

Meanwhile, i still have to try and find me one of these decent saltwater Barra that are around the coastline here. :z16
Now thats a work in progress :z7

Oh aye, enjoy the Snow, not missing it much........... :z12

Sandy

esoxfly

« Reply #8 on: 27/11/2010 at 20:47 »
Brilliant report Sandy  :z16

Really whetted my appetite - can't wait to get there!

30 days to lift-off  :z13

:z18

Chris

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com