Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Anybody fished in Brazil?
« on: 08/11/2010 at 15:09 »
As the title suggests I am now posted in Brazil with work.

Does anybody on the forum have any first hand experience or any knowledge at all related to fishing in Brazil??

Our base is in Macae if this is of any help??

Im hoping to target species on the fly as much as possible, does anyone know what I am likely to encounter and what flies, line weights etc I should concentrate with?

Any informtaion would be great!

:z18

Steven

Mike Barrio

Re: Anybody fished in Brazil?
« Reply #1 on: 09/11/2010 at 16:25 »
Looks like you're gonna be the Brazilian info source for the future Steven :wink
Enjoy exploring :z16
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2010 at 11:28 »
Steven

I have looked at South america a wee bit, but no experience yet.
Peacock Bass and Golden Dorado are probably the Key species for the Fly :z16
Both Awesome fish :shock :shock
And i wanna go catch some.
From what i've read and seen on DVD, you are looking 7/8wts and poppers for the bass, and 9/10wts with clousers for the dorado. Neither fish are particularly cultured when it comes to flies, just make a noise in the right place and the rest is Brutal :shock

Have Wicked fun.

Sandy

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 11/11/2010 at 21:04 »
Cheers for the info Sandy!

Planning to go exploring this weekend  :z16

I'll report back with any findings!

Steven

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 15/11/2010 at 09:05 »
I have two Brazilian collegues turn up this morning at work for a few weeks..will see if they have any info :)

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 15/11/2010 at 17:50 »
Thanks Rob that would be great!  :z16

Steven

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 16/11/2010 at 09:12 »
Right....one of the chaps, Carlos, is a keen fisherman and his father has a boat. They fish for Peacock bass mainly, but with lures. Small, 6 foot baitcasting rods, braid line and minnow stick baits of "woodchoppers". These are large surface lures that have blades that chop up the water on retrieve.

He thinks the fly could work, especially baitfish and poppers (I showed him some Pike flies and he says they look about right). He warned that although the average fish is about 2-3 kg, they fight very hard and the waters are snaggy.

They also fish with "cut bait" (fish chunks) for Catfish and various Piahrana/Pacu. The Cats go to 20kg :) but he does not think they would take a fly as they are located in deep, fast flowing water.

The last fish they fish for is the Big Head Carp, an Asian species stocked into some lakes and rivers. Grows to 40kg and takes a bait made of crushed cornflakes mixed with water fished on a size 4/0 hook!!!

He says there are loads of small species of Chicilids and BArbs that grow to a couple of pounds and feed on insects and fry so maybe a fly rod would be useful for them, but most rivers are heavily stained or silted so fish tend to feed by smell/vibration.

Who knows, sounds like an interesting place to experiment! Jealous as hell!

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 21/11/2010 at 20:15 »
Stevie,
if you need a 10 weight outfit for Dorado i am certain that you will help yourself to the one in my garage on yor next time off.

And yes i might even throw in some appropriate flies.

Dad

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 22/11/2010 at 16:27 »
Cheers for all the information Rob its much appreciated!

and Dad yes I will most likely be up for a bit of daylight robbery!  It would be a crime to break the habit  :z7

P.S does this include the big Abel? If so what line is on it these days?

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com