Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Floatation Suits
« on: 17/11/2010 at 15:28 »
I am in the market for a floatation suit but am confused by the ratings.

Some suits say "Floatation Suit" but in the small print they say "Buoyancy aid". I want a proper floatation suit so what should I be looking for in the way of ratings etc.

I know there is a chap on here, I think his name if Hamish or something, that may have some sort of connection with the sea ;) so I thought I would ask before spending my cash.

Anyone use one for boat fishing for trout?

Cheers
Rob

Ross

Re: Floatation Suits
« Reply #1 on: 17/11/2010 at 15:55 »
I do alot of Sea Fishing and rarely go anywhere without my Fladen 2 piece suit! (Get them from the Caley Shop down the harbour in PHD).

Most of my fishing buddies have them too, can't fault em!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 17/11/2010 at 20:08 »
I also have the fladen for the bit os Sea fishing I do, they are all abit bright for trout fsihing though. I'm sure there was an article in the press a couple of years ago when a fladen suit saved a guy life fishing off rocks in cornwall i could be wrong about the location.

They have flaotation waders now they might be the business for trout fishing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUNDRIDGE-BREATHABLE-FLOTATION-WADERS-XXL-BFW-XXL-/330489197833?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&hash=item4cf2b0f509

cheers

Jim   

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 18/11/2010 at 08:44 »
I am looking at the Sundridge SAS mk6 suit. Seems to get great write ups and there is some good footage of them on YouTube :)

I just dont get the ratings...cant seem to find out if it is a flotation suit or just an aid...

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 18/11/2010 at 09:11 »

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 18/11/2010 at 10:30 »
Jim, thats exactly what I was after!!!

So, basically a floatation suit rated 50N relies on the wearer being conscious and able to roll onto their back. I have not found a suit with a higher rating except for survival suits, which are a whole different ball game.

Many thanks for your help Jim...a SAS mk6 it is then....with inflateable pants just in case ;)

For anyone interested, there are cammo and green flotation suits available for that more subtle approach.

ryan

« Reply #6 on: 18/11/2010 at 10:40 »
hi rob if you are looking for a decent priced one try blue anchor in fraserburgh or charlie taits next door they supply all the local fishing boats and my brother gets his at good price i got one from my mate at the standby really good for winter

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 18/11/2010 at 13:32 »
Ended up getting a great deal on a Sundridge Crossflo Mk3 breathable suit, so a happy bunny and so is the better half. Not to bright that I could not wear it on the likes of Lomond or Awe when after Pike.

As she says, it may not save my life if I fall 50 foot off a cliff, but at least my body will float so she has something to bury!...You may have gathered she does not like me fishing off the cliffs..lol

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com