Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

indicators
« on: 02/02/2007 at 18:18 »
hi alan

was just wondering if you are allowing float indicators in the grampian league as i dont think they should be allowed in competitions.

henry and andrew
the water buoys

Alan

Re-indicators
« Reply #1 on: 03/02/2007 at 23:11 »
Hi Henry & Andrew

This subject has cropped up in other parts of the forum many times before and I dont suppose there is a right or wrong answer, it is really a matter of personal choice.

One of the main things about the League is the fact that when you fish for your bag weight you are fishing to standard fishery rules.

So simply if the fishery allows indicators then that is the rule..... at that fishery.

Hope this helps

Al

P.S There is just over 3 weeks to get your forms in !

Indicators
« Reply #2 on: 05/02/2007 at 16:52 »
Hi Alan
                 Is this not a missed chance for the grampian legue to implement a rule of no floatting indicators,during competion. Or  at least a vote before the league starts. I dont think anglers would mind a small piece of wool being used as a indicator, as this would be good for people with poor eye sight or for people learning flyfishing.I can not see this effecting the fishiers taken part. :roll:

Henry from the waterbuoys,
                                                                :z6

sharpie

Re: Indicators
« Reply #3 on: 06/02/2007 at 22:45 »
Quote from: "the water buoys"
Hi Alan
                 I dont think anglers would mind a small piece of wool being used as a indicator, as this would be good for people with poor eye sight or for people learning flyfishing.I can not see this effecting the fishiers taken part. :roll:

Henry from the waterbuoys,
                                                                :z6

hi sorry to butt in 'but' :z4 if you disallow indicators and allow a piece of wool to be used what would count as excessive???

in a competition/league you either need to ban idicators altogether or you allow them

whats to stop you banning them then someone just ties a big bushy fly on the top dropper to use as an indicator??

oh and hi i'm new :z4  :z4

Hamish Young

indicators
« Reply #4 on: 06/02/2007 at 23:48 »
Fair point  - welcome by the way :wink:

Henry - why bother to change rules set by fiheries :?: It's not in the spirit of the competition as far as I can see nor would it be in the interests of the league to enforce rule changes. Live and let live  :z3

indicators
« Reply #5 on: 07/02/2007 at 15:02 »
Hi sharpie

Welcome to the forum
                Well the diffrence being it would be fly being used,. not a floating indicator the size of a float for holding up lures.A small piece of wool would be good for takes on buzzers,but would not be good for anthing heavier.when i first seen indicators being used it was to help to detect takes on buzzers.But my feeling is they have went way over the top with these thing,and a eye sore into the bargain. Well this is the last time i mention this topic on this forum .

Henry from the waterbuoys :z2

Alan

Re-Indicators
« Reply #6 on: 08/02/2007 at 17:24 »
Leaving personal views behind, from the League's point of view there is no point introducing a rule that can not be inforced.

i.e. 2 fishermen turn up at a fishery, one is fishing his Grampian League and the other is not. The fishery allows indicators but the league does not. Who is going to insure that the Grampian League fisher does not use indicators?

OR even worse situation - Same two fishermen turn up, the fishery does not allow indicators but the league does. How can the fishery expect the non league fisherman to stick to fishery rules when the guy across from him is not ?

I have stated previously in another post that the last thing I want to do is to dictate to fisheries what they can and cant allow. This would only allow confusion over what rules apply while fishing at a particular fishery and discourage fisheries from participating.

The simply way is to stick to Standard Fishery Rules and therefore takes away the "Should they / Shouldn't they" argument

Alan

spiros

indicators
« Reply #7 on: 08/02/2007 at 22:24 »
From my point of view if u want to fish with an indicator and it is within the fishery rules then do as u wish,it aint my cup of tea but as long as i have fun doing my thing then i am happy.Each to his own and enjoyment is the key.

:z16

Paul

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com