Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: Outcasts 'highland fling' 2011.... read on!
« Reply #75 on: 08/08/2011 at 23:56 »
Thanks to all who came up, shame the weather was so crap on the Sunday.
No pun intended but it put a real 'dampener' on things - I was gutted the weather was so shit :z10
Bit pissed off about the 'let down' over the river fishing which had been arranged, that particular beat has had its card marked and I do hold a grudge.

I hope someone has taken some pics of the Saturday adventures :!
A big thank you for all the goodies that have been left - Rachel and I will be drinking beer for some time  :wink

I'm already thinking ahead to next year and having done a 'recce' trip with Ben, Kevin and Rachel late on Sunday I have come up with a cunning plan (which does not require turnips) which will open up considerably more water to those who fancy it the next time we have the 'Highland Fling'  :grin

:z3

Kevin Muir

« Reply #76 on: 10/08/2011 at 22:49 »
What a great weekend, the loch on the Saturday looked perfect, the trout played hard to get and spoiled the party, tough fishing but a great day out.  I have never been that far up the glen before, so it was a new venue for me.  Leaking waders and the worst midges ever were the low point, I am sure they sucked about half a pint of blood out of me before I got changed at the end of the day. 

Such a shame the rain on Sunday stopped play, the scouting party trip in the late afternoon was interesting, lots of options for other lochs in the future.

The Beauly was interesting on the Monday, fly fishing with 15 foot dapping (sorry Salmon) rods was interesting to say the least, I almost managed to catch a glimpse of the very very long learning curve leading out in front of me.  I must get one of those interesting rods to play with some time soon.  I never saw the fun in Spey casting just for the sake of it before, I got a very brief glimpse of this on the Monday, albeit very very briefly (watching Hamish and Ben).  Very challenging and such a steep learning curve, thanks to Hamish and Ben (I think).  Watching Hamish and Ben make it look far too easy was depressing to say the least.

We all managed to touch fish so a great day out and a different pair of leaking waders to fix.

A special mention to the both Hamish and Rachel for being such great hosts for the weekend, thanks for a great weekend.

Kev.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #77 on: 11/08/2011 at 16:38 »
Top weekend, thanks to Mr & Mrs H for putting everyone up.

Fished (cast into) the Alness on Saturday which was fun, nice place to be and would have been even better with some fish about, a few pics in the fishing reports section.  Hopefully someone has some pics from the loch on Saturday.

Few from Saturday night which just happened to be Mr Barrios birthday evening

Mike tries to force a smile as he cuts into the first of his two birthday cakes, I hear he doesn't really do birthdays  :z4

You will eat the cake

John & Noel plan the following days poaching operations, there was a plan before it rained on Sunday and everyone turned into fair weather anglers  :z7

Shame about the awful weather on Sunday, was looking forward to getting out on a loch.

Monday was good fun, fished the Beauly Association water with Kevin & Hamish.  Nice water and good to see Kevin out with the salmon rod, at times he actually looked quite excited by it.

Kev fishing not far away from the spot where the Aigas Dam tried to kill him later on in the day, I wish I had pics of that but I was more concerned about having to jump in and pull you out than locating the camera mate  :z4  You should get some credit for getting into the water that was, from the bank, very obviously far too quick to stand in safely and then going on to make a few casts whilst almost getting swept away so as not to loose face (bloody loch fishers are a liability on proper water)  :z4 :z4  Respect for that, I think  ???

Lunchtime in between the showers not long after H dropped the only salmon that was encountered that day

Kev Starting to get to grips with th DHD, you were throwing some nice lines by the end of the day and almost looking comfortable by lunchtime.  Cracking water for the price, considering joining the club next season.

The excitement of salmon fishing became too much for Kev either that or he got scared when he nearly went for a swim, whatever, he pissed himself so we unfortunately had to cut the day short without success.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com