Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Rod as hand luggage ??
« on: 12/11/2010 at 16:21 »
Just a quick question folks!
Sure it was mentioned before but i cant find the thread  :z6
Can a 3 piece 9ft rod be packed into a rucksack and taken on a flight as hand  luggage?
Destination Oman  :wink

Any help much appreciated  :z16

Jim Eddie

Re: Rod as hand luggage ??
« Reply #1 on: 12/11/2010 at 16:40 »
Not sure nowadays Baz , might depend on the Airline. might be worth e-mailing the airline you are flying with.

:z18

Jim

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 12/11/2010 at 16:43 »
This may have changed as its from an article published in January

"What NOT to takeObviously there is quite a lot that you are not allowed to take into the cabin on flights. Other than weapons, here are some more everyday items you cannot take into the cabin:
Open razors and blades (excluding safety or disposable razors with blades enclosed in cartridge)

Scissors with blades more than 3cm in length

Ski and walking/hiking poles

Any large sporting equipment such as cricket and baseball bats, hockey sticks, kayak paddles, ice skates etc

Skateboards

Fishing rods

Non safety matches

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1240553/Latest-airport-advice-The-hand-luggage-restrictions-sizes-allowances-need-know.html#ixzz155T8IW00

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 12/11/2010 at 17:26 »
Thanks for that jim  :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 12/11/2010 at 19:02 »
Hi Baz,

Check with the airline.  I think regardless of size rods are now classed as "sporting equipment" so have to go into the hold and you get charged through the nose if you rock up with them in your hand luggage, particularly on the low cost airlines.  Get a 4pc rod and take that, you should get it into a suitcase or fishing holdall thingy and you'll only get charged for a normal hold bag.  Apparently you could stab someone with a section of a fishing rod, flylines and reels are not allowed as they could be used to bind or strangle someone.  Flies are not allowed on some flights either. 

Cheers

Ben

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 12/11/2010 at 19:59 »
Its all getting a bit rediculous these days!  If a flyline has the potential to be used to bind someone (which I agree it does) then surely shoelaces could be used to perform the same task?  I know this sounds rediculous but I can't really see much difference (except the length)?

I once got stopped at customs in Nigeria with my fly tying gear and was accused of being involved in witchcraft!  I laugh about it now but believe me it wasnt much of a laughing matter at the time!

I have one of those KIS rod carriers that was bought for going to Alaska, its sitting up at my fathers collecting dust.  Let me know if you need a shot of it.

Steven

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 12/11/2010 at 20:27 »
Forget about airline policy nobody from the airline will see what's inside your hand luggage. Its the airport security staff you have to convince. They will follow the rules to the letter for fear of loosing their jobs so simply never take anything in hand luggage they will question. I go through an airport security check point 10 times a day so trust me on this.
9 out of 10 times I fly I will be taking fishing gear and as Ben said four piece rod and and all gear in preferably a hard case and it will be fine.
I would never use a rod case, maybe they are fine but to me they just screams FISHING RODS STEAL ME : :z18

esoxfly

« Reply #7 on: 12/11/2010 at 20:58 »
I agree with everything that's been said so far. 

I've only taken fishing gear on flights to Ireland (before the security clampdown), Wick (doesn't really count does it  :?) and several times to Stockholm with Ryanair.
The first time I went to Stockholm way back I took too much gear and used a KIS rod case (used as garage storage ever since  :z6) - got through the "special handling" window at Prestwick but the super efficient Swedes charged me for sporting equipment on the way back quoting Ryanair policy at me. 
Since then I've only taken pike fly gear.  My four piece rod, reel, flies etc went through in the hold no problem. 
Last year I wanted to dodge all of the extra fees Ryanair are great at charging and took hand-luggage only.  This time I got an Orvis Frequent Flyer rod in my hand luggage + reels/trace/leader material.  I decided that the pike flies on hooks up to #6/0 were not a good idea so I posted them there and back in a padded envelope  :z13.

I laughed at the "witch craft" story  :z4 - what would the Nigerians have made of my Pike flies?

Not sure any of this helps you.  Worst case scenario is you are charged for carriage of sporting goods and it has to go in the hold. 

Chris

Noel Kelly

« Reply #8 on: 12/11/2010 at 21:08 »
Laughed at the witchcraft story as well :z4

P Ross

« Reply #9 on: 13/11/2010 at 17:36 »
Any fly rod regardless of size cant travel as hand luggage. It's not down to the airline it's a DFT requirement therefore Security staff have to apply the rules consistantly and fairly. BA will charge an excess of approx £35 to put your rod in the hold of the aircraft, which is a bit much if you ask me, however most airlines charge the same.

stickleback

« Reply #10 on: 13/11/2010 at 18:40 »
Does it not boil down to each carrier having their own rules ?

On my return home from Florida this summer my rod wouldn't fit in my suitcase, but Thomas Cook didn't charge extra for it when it went in the hold.  They said because it was small and didn't appear in their list of big/heavy sporting equipment that would incur extra, they would consider it part of my overall luggage allowance, and because I didn't exceed that there was no additional charge.   :z16

I got all this confirmed on the phone before going to the airport, because with them, if you turn up with unannounced extra baggage you get royally screwed.  A family in front of us got taken for $350 for a few kilos over their limit  :shock

Alex Burnett

« Reply #11 on: 13/11/2010 at 18:50 »
Just a quick question folks!
Sure it was mentioned before but i cant find the thread  :z6
Can a 3 piece 9ft rod be packed into a rucksack and taken on a flight as hand  luggage?
Destination Oman  :wink

Any help much appreciated  :z16

Hi Baz

No a fishing rod is now concidered a "Dangerous Weapon" aparently.

Alex

P Ross

« Reply #12 on: 13/11/2010 at 19:05 »
The DFT regulations apply to all airports within the UK therefore if you are travelling through a UK airport ,whether or not you are leaving the UK, DFT regs apply. If you travelling from a foreign airport then likewise the Regs of that country apply. As for the reasons rods are banned, i guess that with most objects that the DFT see as a threat , they have thier reasons from intelligence etc. Take the recent toner cartridge incident for example, 2 weeks ago they weren't an issue now they are.
An Chuileog - Leave Security alone before your strip searched!!! :shock

Noel Kelly

« Reply #13 on: 13/11/2010 at 19:13 »
An Chuileog - Leave Security alone before your strip searched!!! :shock

I have been trying, bought expensive underwear an all but so far no luck :z10

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com