Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

briser

Old rods worth repair?
« on: 04/11/2010 at 13:45 »
I was given an old Scottish rod (not worth anything unfortunately) but it has 2 rings missing.
It's a 3 pc 10ft (I think) possibly fibreglass not sure and I would like to get the missing rings replaced economically and give it a try sometime - can I ask advice on here regarding obtaining old rings?  I don't think it's worth the cost of complete re-ring.
Am at work and have forgotten the name of rod (might be Milbro Tru-fly or something like that) but once I get home I will post and maybe take a pic or two for clarification of type of rings.
Cheers,  Brian.

Jim Eddie

Re: Old rods worth repair?
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/2010 at 17:34 »
Briser

Sandy / Rob and Alex are the boys for rod building , I'm stre they will reply if they see this post

:z18

Jim

briser

« Reply #2 on: 04/11/2010 at 20:37 »
Cheers Jim, just to confirm I was right it is a 10ft Milbro Trufly and its the middle ring of the middle section I need. 
The rings are very small so unsure how it would perform with modern lines, next time I go to Haddo I plan to take it along and show Mike to see what he thinks about that.
If anyone knows the weight these rods are rated I would be happy to know?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 04/11/2010 at 20:46 »
Hi Brian

Yes, bring it along and we can have a look.

Cheers
Mike

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #4 on: 04/11/2010 at 20:48 »
They were rated 7/8 and the intermediate rings are of the bridge type. It is very easy to whip on a new one. The rods are slow compared to carbon rods but made very good sea trout rods for smaller rivers where casting distance was not an issue. The action is very forgiving and you dont loose so many fish as you do with the faster modern rods.

briser

« Reply #5 on: 04/11/2010 at 21:37 »
Excellent, thanks for that.  I am dying to give it a try and with my limited technique, casting distance is never an issue lol!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 05/11/2010 at 10:01 »
Sloans of Inverurie stock quite a few of the older rings which should match your rod.

Whipping rings is easy enough, matching the thread colour can be a problem sometimes. For example, Daiwa use an exclusive purple on there older Whisker rods which was impossible to match.

If you want to "upgrade" your rings, a fill set of snakes and a stripping guide would be on the right side of £15. Infact, I have full set at home still in the packaging (Seymo) you can have for a fiver :)

briser

« Reply #7 on: 05/11/2010 at 22:48 »
Thanks Rob - If I decide to do that I will maybe take you up on the offer. 
Btw, How many rings in that snake-eye set?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 08/11/2010 at 08:45 »
Thanks Rob - If I decide to do that I will maybe take you up on the offer. 
Btw, How many rings in that snake-eye set?

Depends on the length of rod :)..longer ones have more..lol.

The set I have is for a 9-9.5 foot rod..I think its one stripper and 10 intermediates if it remember.

Rob

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com