Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Reid

Grayling Bugs
« on: 03/11/2010 at 22:23 »
Does anyone have any ideas for grayling bugs or even have any SBS's?

I am really keen to get a few days out at the grayling this year.

Sandy Nelson

Re: Grayling Bugs
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/2010 at 00:01 »
John

here is one of my favourite grayling patterns.
Similar tying style to the Rhyac from Feb's SBS's
A great point fly on a czech team of two.

Hook: Partridge Barbless Shrimp size 16 (similar size to a B110 size 10 :shock)
Thread: Golden olive
Body: Light olive Micro straggle fritz, clipped on top
Bead: Tungsten 3.3mm Eumer Fl.pink

this is an excellant grayling fly and the technique can be used with the bead at the head
as well and there are heaps of colours of micro fritz to play with, black or white with an orange head is very good also
as is the shrimp tied with an orange bead, pink is a good grayling colour especially for the bead :z16
dead easy to tie and very effective :z3
the rhyac pattern is also very good and can be adjusted in colour to give you different flies
it's in the sbs section too :z16
hope it gives you something to play with, grayling are still my favorite quarry.

cheers

sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 04/11/2010 at 01:59 »
I have a good few tied up for my winter attempts on the earn and dean!
Will post a few pics up once i get back onshore  :wink

John Reid

« Reply #3 on: 04/11/2010 at 07:23 »
Thanks very much guys.

I will get the materials and give that a bash Sandy.  I have never fly fished for them before and I am really looking forward to it.   :cool:

Michael Buchan

« Reply #4 on: 04/11/2010 at 13:18 »
Neat flie sandy will tie up a few  :z16

Ive only fished for grayling a couple of times but have yet to get one, so planning to target them this winter as well (possibly might have a bash on the dean/ isla on Saturday). 

Anyway Just got a few different sizes of Hanak jig hooks this week to tie some grayling flies on, theory being they snag less than normal flies. Has anyone tried these?

John ill give you a few of the hooks at the outcasts sunday if you want to try them they only came in packs of 50 so have tons spare.

Michael

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 04/11/2010 at 21:06 »
Hi Michael,

I tied a few tungsten beaded nymphs/ bugs close season last year on these hooks - below are the only 2 pictures I have on 'file'. Note that they weren't tied to any specific pattern, just 'jammin' at the vise.

I did try them briefly at the start of the season and although they are designed to prevent hooking the 'riverbed' you will still lose a few (if they are doing what they are designed to do and bounce the bottom) - often it's the bead and not the hook that snags.

Remember to buy slotted beads for the head.

A few of these in 'lady' colours are a must soon.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 05/11/2010 at 08:54 »
I tie these things up...the trout seem to like them more..lol

Partridge hooks, 2-3 layers of lead, dubbing, sorted :)

Andy Wren

« Reply #7 on: 11/05/2011 at 08:04 »

Thesa simples work well for me ,i get bored dressing them ,but they are great catchers .

Offthebard

« Reply #8 on: 12/05/2011 at 13:03 »
I like to use basic hares ear patterns tied with glister dubbings in various colours. I usually use standard Gold head beads during the late Summer Autumn Months as the rivers are moving slower. Also grayling are very keen to take dries such as olives, dusters, and klinks in the warmer months.

Possibly worth trying the method of point fly as a heavy weighted fly and a couple of spiders as droppers - this usually works best for me and proved successful when I was chasing my first Grayling.

Sandy.   

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com