Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter McCallum

Re: Knotless tapered leaders
« Reply #15 on: 12/11/2010 at 19:08 »
I have a ring permanently on my leader. Also have used them on 3 fly casts, though not since I finished a days fishing, wound the cast round my hand and binned it :shock :shock :oops

They are a great idea, wouldn't be without them

Allan Liddle

« Reply #16 on: 15/11/2010 at 21:04 »
Hi Mike
I've been using the wee rings for years and have found them excellent but there are a couple of things you need to watch:
1. make sure the nylon above the ring dosen't become weak through too much use, or damaged through the usual rigours when fishing
2. Check the ring itself for damage (i lost a good 3lb plus broonie 'rod bender' i'd stalked for ages on a certain river i fish earlier this season due to this)

I generally use the Leeda knotless tapered leaders (4lb to 6lb) and vary the length between 4' to 6' (taken from the butt and cutting off the unwanted level stuff) depending on conditions, location etc and tie the ring in at my chosen length.  From here i tie in my desired length of nylon again depending on what, where or number of flies i'm fishing.
Loop to loop connection at the fly line generally using that much frowned upon method of a very short section of exposed core which i use to form a very small loop.  :shock  Musclin(sp) keeps the water out and i generally don't have much of an issue with the tip sinking.  Otherwise i tend to still use the factory made loop in the fly line if either there's one there, or it's not too intrusive.

Works for me and hope this helps

Allan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 15/11/2010 at 22:40 »
Hi Allan

Good points ..... I can see that these rings can help to offer versatility in the way that we make up our leaders.

and having our own personal leader set up helps to boost our confidence :wink

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 16/11/2010 at 10:31 »
Tell me more about the rings guys ...... Do you just use one size, if so what diameter etc?

I haven't used them, apart from on the end of a furled leader and these came ready made.

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 16/11/2010 at 12:00 »
Rings....

Simples, dont buy the ones made for fly fisherman as they are expensive and tend to be silver and shiney, get the ones made for carpers. They are half the price, round section and a nice dull finish. Also come in more sizes from about 2mm upto 5mm and shapes. Round, oval and a new triangle shape that should be perfect for droppers.

Something I tried was using a 4mm ring close to the fly line, and steadily getting smaller down the leader...my theory was to allow for better turnover. Not sure it worked :)

I used the "trout ones" years ago when they first came out and lost a few fish because I believe trout were hitting the shiney ring rather then the flies.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #20 on: 16/11/2010 at 12:13 »
I use the ones from Niche Products and they only come in one size. I haven't measured them. I haven't seen any fish trying to take the ring but I suppose it might happen.

The important thing is to store them on a small safety pin. If you try to take them out of a packet on the bank with cold fingers you will lose most of them. Don't remove from the safety pin until the first section of leader is tied on otherwise you have nothing to grip on while you tie the knot. :z16

Irvine

Mike Barrio

« Reply #21 on: 16/11/2010 at 20:10 »
I use the ones from Niche Products and they only come in one size. I haven't measured them. I haven't seen any fish trying to take the ring but I suppose it might happen.

The important thing is to store them on a small safety pin. If you try to take them out of a packet on the bank with cold fingers you will lose most of them. Don't remove from the safety pin until the first section of leader is tied on otherwise you have nothing to grip on while you tie the knot. :z16

Irvine

Safety pin ..... Good tip! :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com