Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Knotless tapered leaders
« on: 02/11/2010 at 18:14 »
Knotless tapered leaders, which is the best brand, or product in your opinion :?

What makes them good?

Cheers
Mike

Bronzebommer

Re: Knotless tapered leaders
« Reply #1 on: 02/11/2010 at 18:40 »
I can’t see past the Hardy ones. I've not tried many but I am totally happy with them so see no reason to try any others. I think it is better to know the limitations of your line or leader rather than chopping and changing.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 02/11/2010 at 18:44 »
I use the Rio trout tapers which I believe fall into this category. But they are the only ones I've tried.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 02/11/2010 at 18:58 »
Forgot to ask ....... Are you nail knotting these to the fly line, or using a loop to loop connection with a braided loop?

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 02/11/2010 at 19:07 »
Loop to loop with a braided loop. I tried nail notting a loop to the fly line but I didn't get it right and the leader caught on the knot every other cast. I fitted a moser loop much better than the previous ones I have used.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 02/11/2010 at 19:13 »
Frog Hair supple butt.
Loop to loop or blood knotted to moser braided loop

Very elastic.
Used to use the Fulling Mill & Hardy ones which were fine but I'm now a convert to the elastic ones.

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 02/11/2010 at 19:18 »
Frog Hair supple butt.
Loop to loop or blood knotted to moser braided loop

Very elastic.
Used to use the Fulling Mill & Hardy ones which were fine but I'm now a convert to the elastic ones.

Iain

Iain
I would have thought you would have used the ones spun from Rapunzels hair and sold for a modest price of £250 each  :z4

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 02/11/2010 at 19:28 »
I've had enough of these jibes.............that said my left kidney is currently on e-bay as there's I need some new waders.

:z7 :z7 :z7 :z7 :z7 :z7

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 02/11/2010 at 20:54 »
I use them....

Frog Hair are good so are the Orvis super strong, whatever brand I use they have to be supple and not be a short taper with a load of floppy leve stuff on the end.  In the latter I Use 12' for dry flies as standard with a bit added in most situations, and where I need a shorter leader I use the 7.5' leaders and build the rest.  For wet fly or multiple fly rigs I use 6' tapered Super Strong and build what I need from there.  Don't tend to use braided loops at all these days for anything under a 7wt line, #3 - #5 I use about 12" of appropriate diameter butt material nail knotted to the end of the flyline and I put a perfection loop in the end of it to which I loop to loop connect my tapered leader.  On my heavier lines I end to whip & aquasure loops.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 03/11/2010 at 23:16 »
Is anybody still using the furled leaders that we did a couple of years ago? I might get some more made up :z3

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 09/11/2010 at 16:28 »
I received a prototype furled leader today, I'll have a few casts and see how it shapes up :wink

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 11/11/2010 at 15:22 »
What's your preferred length for knotless leaders?

Do you always use the same length, or do you use longer ones for small flies and shorter ones for larger flies?

Cheers
Mike

Irvine Ross

« Reply #12 on: 11/11/2010 at 19:33 »

Do you always use the same length, or do you use longer ones for small flies and shorter ones for larger flies?

Cheers
Mike

Mike

9' or 12' but I usually cut them up and put in a leader ring so I can alter them as required for the conditions.

Irvine

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 11/11/2010 at 19:55 »

Cheers
Mike

Longer in light wind or with smaller flies when on the river.  Shorter and steeper taper with big flies.  When on still water fishing nymphs, I will change the length of tippet to alter fishing depth and generally fish a 7.5 ish foot taper

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 12/11/2010 at 16:09 »
A few folk have mentioned using leader rings lately (is that standard seamless rings?) are you using them as a point to add a leader extension to, or as a point for adding droppers? Any issues with the rings, or do you find them a useful gadget for leader set ups? Tell us all about them ...............

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com