Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

jock

bait ponds
« on: 30/01/2007 at 18:18 »
i know its not fly fishing,but i know a young guy who wants to catch a trout and asked me to help,so i was wondering if anybody could recomend a good one thanks for the help all the best jock

Jay Scott

bait ponds
« Reply #1 on: 30/01/2007 at 18:21 »
Loch Insch have a good one for beginners, thats where i started off but i don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing. Its quite small so there's more chance of a fish to get him hooked and its well stocked.

Jay

Hamish Young

bait ponds
« Reply #2 on: 30/01/2007 at 18:23 »
Forgue, Mossat and Lochter also used to offer the same facility  :idea:

bait ponds
« Reply #3 on: 30/01/2007 at 18:28 »
Also Mill of Elrick and i think Raemoir do to

Jim Eddie

Bait ponds
« Reply #4 on: 30/01/2007 at 20:06 »
I'll give my vote to Mill of Elrick , my kids spent many a happy hour there.

:z18

Jim

jock

bait ponds
« Reply #5 on: 30/01/2007 at 20:53 »
thanks for the reply guys,hopefully it will start him off and maybe swap to fly fishing later on

Mike Barrio

bait ponds
« Reply #6 on: 30/01/2007 at 21:11 »
Hi Jock

Yes, I too would suggest the Mill of Elrick Trout Fishery  :z16

The bait loch there is a good size and well stocked ..... see http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/mill-of-elrick-trout-fishery.html

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

spencie

bait ponds
« Reply #7 on: 30/01/2007 at 21:29 »
Midmar and Raemoir have bait ponds which I have taken my daughter to, although I haven't been to either since they have been extended so couldn't tell you how they fish.

Sandy Nelson

bait ponds
« Reply #8 on: 30/01/2007 at 22:04 »
I'd go with Mill of Elrick too
Dave is geared up for the kids.

I suppose it depends what closest to you?

Daniels first rainbow came out of Lochter, it was quite well set up at the time, not been there for a while though.

Sandy

Hamish Young

bait ponds
« Reply #9 on: 30/01/2007 at 22:21 »
I think the bait pond at Midmar may have gone.... I'll check  :idea:

Hamish Young

bait ponds
« Reply #10 on: 30/01/2007 at 22:22 »
Their website still lists a bait pond but I see they don't re-open until 7th of Feb  :shock:

spiros

bait ponds
« Reply #11 on: 31/01/2007 at 08:44 »
Midmar bait pond is tiny about 15ft by 12ft,but when been there seen a few young uns take some fish out of it so worth a try.

spencie

bait ponds
« Reply #12 on: 31/01/2007 at 16:18 »
I think they extended the bait pond at Midmar the other year so it's a lot bigger now.

Rob Brownfield

bait ponds
« Reply #13 on: 31/01/2007 at 17:24 »
It is indeed bigger now..and the balcony of the lodge extends out over it..making it rather interesting :)

I was down yesterday for a look, but no one about which I guess confirms the bit about being closed for winter...and I don't blame him, we have had some bitter nights in the "Mar"

Kevin Moss

bait ponds
« Reply #14 on: 31/01/2007 at 20:12 »
Glen of Rothes fishery has 2 bait ponds and all the schools visit it and fishes quite well also.One is quite large and the other smaller.Plus in all the lochs there is large carp over 30lbs and are being caught on the fly and are a hard fighting fish.They are mainly caught in warmer months and not through winter on fly.The kids always seem to enjoy it.Its all out there if we extend our focus and see what is available locally.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com