Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter McCallum

Re: My First Fly
« Reply #30 on: 13/12/2010 at 17:56 »
Thursday 7pm at mastrick community centre is the aberdeen fly dressers meeting. not sure if they're on this week and next, but I'll find out

Tiam

« Reply #31 on: 13/12/2010 at 19:28 »
Thanks Irvine,
i guess i should just keep at; it i've have a few problems with the thread snapping so lighter tension must be the needed :z4 Thanks for the feedback :z16
Peter, does 'fly dressers' run throughout the winter or is it just an occasional thing?

Thanks and All the Best
Tiam

Peter McCallum

« Reply #32 on: 13/12/2010 at 21:40 »
Every week between october and april or there abouts. Not sure if it finishes this week or next, probably this week again not sure when it starts after the holidays but I'll Pm Kev Muir who is one of the leading lights and ask.

jpm75

« Reply #33 on: 16/03/2011 at 22:45 »
Hi Tiam, have you any more of your flies to show us?

Tiam

« Reply #34 on: 23/03/2011 at 19:29 »
Hi John,
Had a wee bit of tying over the past few weeks, got (what i think to be) a nice interpretation of a diawl bach, not exactly orthadox i would say; but there's my effort :grin

Any feedback very welcome!

All the Best
Tiam

jpm75

« Reply #35 on: 24/03/2011 at 15:55 »
Hi Tiam, looks very fishy, I'd say it will catch a few trout. The only thing I will say is if you wind your thread further down the shank and start your body at that point it will give you a more slender looking fly. But that's still a good effort. Keep up the good work.
John.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #36 on: 24/03/2011 at 16:54 »
Hi Tiam, looks very fishy, I'd say it will catch a few trout. The only thing I will say is if you wind your thread further down the shank and start your body at that point it will give you a more slender looking fly. But that's still a good effort. Keep up the good work.
John.

Yep, try to start the body at the end of the shank. a good reference point to begin with is wind to the start of the barb   and start your body there.

Tiam

« Reply #37 on: 24/03/2011 at 18:41 »
Thanks guys! yes i see what you mean, i just need to keep at it :wink
Cheers for the feedback and will keep you posted on any further progress.
Just one last thing, when i varnish a fly, it usually covers most of the body and - in this case - made the peacock herl very rigid and coarse. Is this meant to happen or should i just varnish the head?

All the Best
Tiam

Barry Robertson

« Reply #38 on: 24/03/2011 at 18:57 »
Tiam,

Just try and varnish over the thread where you have whip finished, if the brush on your varnish is proving to messy try and use a needle dipped into the varnish to apply it!

Tiam

« Reply #39 on: 24/03/2011 at 19:04 »
Ahh i see, i thought it was not right :oops

Thanks
Tiam

Peter McCallum

« Reply #40 on: 24/03/2011 at 19:11 »
If you put a wee bit of fly tyers wax on nthe thread & whip finish then you don't really need to use varnish.

Tiam

« Reply #41 on: 24/03/2011 at 19:22 »
I have dubbing wax, i hope that will do the trick :wink

All the Best
Tiam

jpm75

« Reply #42 on: 30/03/2011 at 08:09 »
Hi Tiam could I suggest something? If you thin your varnish down a little with some cellulose thinners it will allow  the varnish to soak into your thread better, it will also give you a finer finish on your head.
John.

Tiam

« Reply #43 on: 30/03/2011 at 20:19 »
Hi John,
Thanks for the advice, would this stuff do?  http://www.fishingmegastore.com/-loon-thinner~1%21437.html#gentable
Also i have attached another fly that i have tied recently(truth be told i was really just mucking around a bit on the vice) and i wasn't sure if i was using the correct type of feather for the hackle? It is a French Yellow Partridge and to me it just doesnt look ok, any advice on types of feather for hackle?

Thanks and All the Best
Tiam

jpm75

« Reply #44 on: 31/03/2011 at 10:18 »
Hi Tiam, I can see from your photo that to use veniards varnish, if you can get it use the veniards cellulose thinner, its in the same sort of bottle.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com