Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Tiam

My First Fly
« on: 30/10/2010 at 13:25 »
This is my first fly that i tied myself, not sure what it is though!
Anyone help????
I used some dark blue thread, mistake no. 1????  :z4
Some Pheasant tail, mistake no. 2????   :z4
And some of this green-brown thread for the body, mistake no.3???   :z4

All the Best
Tiam

Peter McCallum

Re: My First Fly
« Reply #1 on: 30/10/2010 at 15:45 »
Need a closer look, picture won't zoom without losing quality, but theres no reason for it not to catch a fish.

If I could make a suggestion or two?

First, stick to some simple, well known patterns as a starter. You then should be able to compare what you have done with a standard fly.

Get in touch with someone who can tie flies and can give you tips. where are you based, if Aberdeen the flydressers meet every Thursday at Mastrick community centre.

Tiam

« Reply #2 on: 30/10/2010 at 16:12 »
yup sure, ahhh ok. I was following some instructions but it turned out a bit different :wink thinks i shall just do some really rather simple nymphs  :z16
Thanks for the tips :cool:

All the Best
Tiam

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 30/10/2010 at 18:41 »
Thats a good effort for your first fly Tiam, Like Peter says i would try and get along to a local tying class!
I think you will learn more in one session with a good fly tyer than 3 months learning on your own!
If you drop me a pm i will send you up some materials for the pattern iam doing in my November step by step and you can try and copy that  :z16

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 30/10/2010 at 18:55 »
Thats a good effort for your first fly Tiam, Like Peter says i would try and get along to a local tying class!
I think you will learn more in one session with a good fly tyer than 3 months learning on your own!
If you drop me a pm i will send you up some materials for the pattern iam doing in my November step by step and you can try and copy that  :z16

Not bad for a first attempt at all Tiam.

Baz what a great idea!  Tiam I'll extend Baz's offer to you too.  PM your address and I'll send you the materials. 

Tiam

« Reply #5 on: 31/10/2010 at 13:38 »
pm's sent :z16

Tiam

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 09/11/2010 at 10:59 »
Materials posted up to you today Tiam, mind and show us the end product  :z16

Tiam

« Reply #7 on: 09/11/2010 at 20:06 »
Cheers baz, very grateful and i defiantly will. :z16

All the Best
Tiam

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 09/11/2010 at 20:17 »
Which part of the country are you in Tiam, there may be a club near you

Tiam

« Reply #9 on: 09/11/2010 at 20:23 »
10 miles north of aberdeen:) :z16

Tiam

Tiam

« Reply #10 on: 23/11/2010 at 22:08 »

This is a pic of my failure attempt at baz's fly. As you can see had some severe difficulty with the hackles :z6 Since taking that pic i have completed some Better un-retarded looking flies but heres the first one. Stop laughing guys :z4 :z4

All the Best
Tiam

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 23/11/2010 at 22:18 »
Fair play for even posting that photo Tiam, plenty room for improvement but the photo quality is good  :z16
Keep at it and i am sure you will get better  :wink

Tiam

« Reply #12 on: 23/11/2010 at 22:24 »
I think the phrase "room for improvement" sums this fly up quite well :z4 :z4

Tiam

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 23/11/2010 at 22:28 »
Try and start the fly further away from the eye of the hook so you dont bulk up that area to quickly leaving you plenty room to finish everything off!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 23/11/2010 at 22:37 »
Hi Tiam ..... great stuff :z16

We have all tied flies like that, with time and practice they get better and better! :wink

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com