Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Buying flies
« on: 26/10/2010 at 02:02 »
What does everyone expect to pay for a good quality fly??
I have been selling quite a few flies lately and just wondered what people who buy flies would consider expensive for a fly?
I think some people expect alot for there money in this day in age and dont appreciate a good fly when they see one.
Personally if i was to break both my wrists and couldnt tie a fly i would quite happily pay £1 a fly for a fly tied by a good tyer rather than pay £1 for a fly that came straight from Kenya!
Any thoughts much appreciated as always  :z18
Baz

Noel Kelly

Re: Buying flies
« Reply #1 on: 26/10/2010 at 07:07 »
I am happy to pay £1/fly for drys/wets. I would try to get simpler tyings a bit cheaper say 12/14 for £10 so would watch for bargains.
I have paid up to £1.30 for flys in the past, normally wets and have no complaints about them.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 26/10/2010 at 09:06 »
If i was forced in a similar vane to Baz, ie no hands or feet, then i would be happy to pay for decent flies.

When i was in the states last year, i needed some flies and i bought the ones tied by the guy in the flyshop rather than the commercial ones, they were 50% more but way nicer and i figured he was making them because they worked in the local area (a bit like me as a fly tyer at home)

As for cost, how long is a piece of silk, some of the Saltwater flies i've been tying must use more than 3 quids worth of materials in each fly, how does that equate to a retail price :shock
I think the ones i bought in Florida were about $6 each and i didn't really baulk too much, i only bought 7-8 flies though :z6 and then had most of them shredded by the bluefish :cool:

how do you measure value? If a fly that catches a fish is worth more than one that doesn't, one that catches 3 must be worth more. I could make a fortune out of red hooks applying that logic :z4 :z4 :z4

Cool

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: 26/10/2010 at 12:13 »
I agree with AC and Sandy, the price I would be willing to pay for a fly would depend on the fly.  Other factors would be the service, by this I mean that I would be willing to pay more for flies that were tied to me specification.
Before I started tying my own flies I was happy to pay £1 upwards for Donegal flies.  If I had more input into the tying of the flies I would be willing to pay upwards of £1.50.  However for simple patterns, such as very basic black buzzers, I would not be willing to spend so much.

Robbie

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 26/10/2010 at 12:51 »
Personally I do not mind paying a reasonable price for flies, however I am not typical nor are the other replies. most folk will go to the cheap and nasty sites and buy wets for £0.20 etc.

:z18

Jim

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 26/10/2010 at 14:03 »
Yep Jim you couldn't make a living out of tying flies in britain unless you go for the big buck salmon flies (preferably with a never fail gimmic). The initial outlay in hooks, materials, etc is huge and would take years to recoup.

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #6 on: 26/10/2010 at 16:13 »
Up till recently when i started tying again i have always bought flies from shops/mail order. I have been stung a few times with stuff i would not use. I generaly look for fulling mill flies if in a shop as i find them good quality. They are a liittle dearer but well worth it. Going rate is about £1 - £1.30.

When buying from  professional tyers i would and have paid more than this for flies. I have ordered flies to be tied to my own design and i can honestly say i have never been disappointed by these purchases. Well worth the extra £ and sometimes the extra wait.

Paul

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 26/10/2010 at 16:55 »
Thanks for all the the thoughts lads!

I think what makes the fly worth its money is that :
1. Its a proven pattern that takes fish and is not available over the counter , making it unique.
2. Tied with the best of materials and not royd hooks for example.
3. Tied to a standard that will last more than a few fish and not fall apart.

I dont intend to make a fortune from selling the odd selection here and there but it will help pay for lines and tackle for next season a little.
I have made a wee portfollio up of flies tied by myself now and have sent it to people who have asked about flies, things are looking good  :z4
Iam going to be busy for a few nights already now  :wink

Cheers
Baz

« Reply #8 on: 26/10/2010 at 17:29 »
Some of the above comments have reminded me that when first started flytying, I thought I could save money.  How wrong can you be?

Good luck to you Baz.  Sounds like you have cracked the first hurdle and created a demand.

Robbie

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 26/10/2010 at 18:05 »
Thanks for all the the thoughts lads!

I think what makes the fly worth its money is that :
1. Its a proven pattern that takes fish and is not available over the counter , making it unique.
2. Tied with the best of materials and not royd hooks for example.
3. Tied to a standard that will last more than a few fish and not fall apart.

I dont intend to make a fortune from selling the odd selection here and there but it will help pay for lines and tackle for next season a little.
I have made a wee portfollio up of flies tied by myself now and have sent it to people who have asked about flies, things are looking good  :z4
Iam going to be busy for a few nights already now  :wink

Cheers
Baz

2 and 3 Baz, 1 does not exist

Jim

Tiam

« Reply #10 on: 26/10/2010 at 18:06 »
I would expect to pay around the £1 mark for a good quality fly, as long as it catches fish :wink

Tiam

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 26/10/2010 at 18:50 »

2 and 3 Baz, 1 does not exist

Jim

Jim,
Those traffic light buzzers on black hooks are unique and cant be bought over the counter and if i remember correctly the caught you plenty fish  :z4
But i know what you are saying, you can fish with the best of flies but they wont gaurantee you to catch fish! But they will sure as hell help  :wink

Jim Eddie

« Reply #12 on: 26/10/2010 at 19:21 »
Not unique now Baz you just gave the secret away  :z4

Like those flexi cats . Came out a couple of years ago and now you can get them anywhere.

Jim 

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 26/10/2010 at 19:41 »
Not unique now Baz you just gave the secret away  :z4

Like those flexi cats . Came out a couple of years ago and now you can get them anywhere.

Jim 

Bit more than a black hook jim, Iam sure the secret is safe for a wee while yet  :wink
Anyway wheres your Pm with an order   :z4

Jim Eddie

« Reply #14 on: 26/10/2010 at 19:44 »
You know me Baz I like a freebie  :z4

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com