Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Michael Buchan

Bug Bond for whippings
« on: 19/10/2010 at 16:57 »
Ive been using Bug Bond latley for fly tying and have been really impressed much easier and less hastle to use than epoxy :z16

My question is would it be suitable for rod whippings? it has the same sort of finish as epoxy just cures in seconds as oposed to hours.

Cheers

Michael

Rob Brownfield

Re: Bug Bond for whippings
« Reply #1 on: 21/10/2010 at 10:56 »
I think it would work out very expensive to do a rod with it.

Does it remain flexible after curing? I seem to recal it goes rock hard. If it does not remain flexible it will crack very quickly and may even damage the blank.

Can it be removed? If a ring needs replacing epoxy can be heated and removed without to much trouble. I think bug bond would be impossible to remove.

Just a few thoughts.

Offshore

« Reply #2 on: 24/12/2010 at 12:42 »
I have been lurking for ages apologies for jumping in... on a technical note the material does retain flex and it is possible to remove from the blank without damaging the blank... 15 fish to 16lbs without any whippings to secure the rings... and build time of less than two hours. If you go to my blog via the Bug-Bond website September and October has a couple of posts that may interest you along with the Youtube link which shows a rod ring placement.

The only damage to the rod was when I snapped the tip of the rod in a bush... careless!

Have a good Christmas one and all...

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 24/12/2010 at 14:51 »
Welcome to the forum David :z16

Have a good Christmas!
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 26/12/2010 at 23:56 »
I have been lurking for ages apologies for jumping in... on a technical note the material does retain flex and it is possible to remove from the blank without damaging the blank... 15 fish to 16lbs without any whippings to secure the rings... and build time of less than two hours. If you go to my blog via the Bug-Bond website September and October has a couple of posts that may interest you along with the Youtube link which shows a rod ring placement.

The only damage to the rod was when I snapped the tip of the rod in a bush... careless!

Have a good Christmas one and all...

Thats all very interesting, thanks for the input, I will have to experiment!! :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 27/12/2010 at 23:25 »
Been browsing this morning, must have missed this one :roll

I've a question Rob, unrelated to the Bug bond.
How do you heat epoxy enough to remove it from a blank without affecting the integrity of the blank itself.
I've experimented with this a few times on spare bits of broken rod and have never managed to soften the epoxy without damaging the blank. So i always use a scalpal to remove the epoxy, very carefully.
I would be very interested if there is a technique to it, not sure i would fully trust it though :z8

Cheers

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 05/01/2011 at 09:13 »
Sandy,
I have always used the better halfs hairdrier. On older rods it does not work (I do wonder if the older varnish/epoxy or years gone by was of a different compound) but on anything built with the usual home builders epoxies the hairdrier has done the business.

I am not removing the entire ring with heat, just any residue left on the blank. I use a razor blade, peal off the whipping and any ridge left is heated and my thumb nail is used to gently scrape the rough patch. I will sometime use denatured alcohol and roughing cloth to finish up the spot.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com