Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

murph

Hi all,

My little lad has started to show a keen interest in fishing (he's only 5) and I'm keen to start him off with some bait fishing.

As I only have fly gear, I'm keen to see if anyone has some old, starter style gear that I could buy.

Thanks,

Paul

Tiam

Re: WANTED Any old or surplus spinning reels and rods.
« Reply #1 on: 19/10/2010 at 00:39 »
I have a fairly new, cheap and cheerful :grin 6'6'' (ish) spinning rod, 2pc. Not sure how it performs, I have only used it once and now lives in the shed after i started fly fishing. Dont know where the reel has gone, i did have three but now can't find any of them :cry But may be able to find one if you so wish :z16

Tiam

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 19/10/2010 at 06:54 »
Hi Paul, Got a spinning reel that I dont use that you would be welcome to. Collect from
 Dyce or Kintore?

John Reid

« Reply #3 on: 19/10/2010 at 07:31 »
Paul

I have a spinning rod that I was given as a kid when which you are welcome to.  I would be delighted to see it going to a young angler rather than lying in a cupboard.

If you are going to get the reel from Noel I will drop the rod off to him and it will allow you to get both together or i its easier you can collect from Pitmedden.

murph

« Reply #4 on: 19/10/2010 at 08:48 »
Thanks Noel, John and Tiam.

John, if you could leave it with Noel that would be great.

Noel, which address in Dyce are you at?

Tiam, would it be possible to get your address also as my mate's son may also be keen.

If you could all let me know the cost, that would also be grand.

Many thanks,

Paul.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 19/10/2010 at 09:01 »
Do you work at the airport or am I thinking of someone else?

murph

« Reply #6 on: 19/10/2010 at 09:05 »
Not guilty although funnily enough that's my mate Gareth (P Ross). You could certainly give it to Gareth if that suits you as he stays a stone throw away from me.

John Reid

« Reply #7 on: 19/10/2010 at 11:14 »
Paul

I don't want anything for mine, helping junior anglers is far more important.  The rod is old and battered but it has seen a lot of fish and was passed down to me from my mentor.

Hopefully he will enjoy it.

I will speak to Noel and arrange to drop it off.

Tiam

« Reply #8 on: 19/10/2010 at 14:02 »
Paul,
I have taken the spinning rod out of the shed and realized that it is only 6' so i am sure it will do for a young un. In April i bought a brand new reel for yet another of my rods and i will happily give you that to go with the rod, i lice only a couple of miles from Dyce and Haddo so can drop off next time i'm going fishing at Mike's which is tomorrow:) So if you wanted to pop down and get it whilst im fishing that would be fine.

All the Best
Tiam

murph

« Reply #9 on: 19/10/2010 at 15:00 »
Hi Tiam,

I'm working all week and away at the weekend, but I could pop out in an evening time to your house if you want to pm me your address?

Paul

Noel Kelly

« Reply #10 on: 19/10/2010 at 19:09 »
It will be the weekend before I get to dig out the reel. Will make a plan for getting it to you once I find it!

P Ross

« Reply #11 on: 22/10/2010 at 01:13 »
An Chuileog - If you are on early on Sat drop it off at Post two and i can collect it from there as i'm finished at 7am and off for the weekend.  :z18

Noel Kelly

« Reply #12 on: 22/10/2010 at 06:34 »
Don't work w ends :grin Will have a look for it at the w end and take it in with me next week.

murph

« Reply #13 on: 22/10/2010 at 10:20 »
Cheers for that Gareth and I'll catch up with you next week.

Noel, I think JohnR was going to drop a rod off to you as well?

John Reid

« Reply #14 on: 22/10/2010 at 10:57 »
I keep forgeting to put it in the car.  Will drop it into Mike tomorrow afternoon.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com