Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Biofocal Polaroids
« on: 17/10/2010 at 17:51 »
Mike mentioned these today , seem like a good idea for those of us who now need glasses for close up work like tying on a fly.#

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/sunglasses/airflo-bi-focals/40/no/44503

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

Re: Biofocal Polaroids
« Reply #1 on: 17/10/2010 at 19:45 »
Hi jim,

They have their uses but my main use for polarising glasses other than spotting fish is to give me a clear view of the bottom whilst wading, I would not want my perspective altered by magnifying bits half way down the lenses,  You may be better off with a decent set of glasses and a flip focal that attaches to the peak on a cap.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 17/10/2010 at 19:54 »
Ben

I don't need glasses for spotting fish etc , my long sightedness is fine. I have to carry a set of reading glasses to tie on a fly now which is a pain. As I can never find the bloody things when i need them  :z4
Two things happen when you get older , your memory go's and what is the 2nd thing again ?  :z4 :z4

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 17/10/2010 at 20:27 »
I fished Crathes on the Dee this year. I think the pool was called no mans land. Never have I been so glad of a pair of polaroid glasses in my life! Anybody that has fished that pool will know what I mean!

John Reid

« Reply #4 on: 17/10/2010 at 20:38 »
I am on the lookout for a good set of polaroids for spotting fish and seeing the bottom of the riverbed.  I did like the Spotters that Catman had but I am struggling to get them.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 17/10/2010 at 20:45 »
Was thinking of getting these. They look like a good deal

http://www.catch-fishing.co.uk/store/ProPre.html

Sorry forgot to put the link in :oops :oops

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 17/10/2010 at 21:49 »
Hi Jim, I'm not suggesting that you are blind mate  :z4

The fact that you need these things only for close up work is why I suggested that you got decent polarising sunglasses and got one of these too.  Liked the Orvis page but I'm sure it will be available elsewhere.

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1269

John,

I really like the Vision X Spider glasses.  Retail at about £50 and superb lenses, quite scratch resistant for plastic.  I have had many pairs of top end glasses, unless the lenses are glass then don't spend the money, doesn't matter how much they cost, they all scratch the same.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 18/10/2010 at 06:31 »
Ben

Thanks , yes that would work.

Jim

Irvine Ross

« Reply #8 on: 18/10/2010 at 08:52 »
As I need spectacles for close up work and to give a sharper focus for distance work I have a pair of prescription polaroids from Optilabs.  :shock

The first pair I had were bifocals and the current pair are varifocus. They are not cheap but the last pair lasted a good few years until my prescription changed. The advantage is I don't have to change my specs every time I tie on a fly.

Once you are accustomed to varifocus lenses they are no trouble and your view of anything is not distorted, as Ben imagines, because you know instinctively which part of the lens to look through. You learn to move you head rather than swivel your eyeballs. That's true for bifocals too.

Irvine

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 21/10/2010 at 12:03 »
Ordered a pair of cheap ones on ebay, will let you know if they're any good.

I'm getting old :cry

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com