Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Instinct?
« on: 17/10/2010 at 00:43 »
If you have been fishing for a few years ...... do you ever experience 'instinct'?

What do I mean? It is kind of an extra sense I guess, sometimes it is knowing that you are going to get a take just before the fish actually hits the fly, other times it might just be the feeling that your fly line is swinging round in the current in just the right place and just the right manner :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Stuart Smith

Re: Instinct?
« Reply #1 on: 17/10/2010 at 06:38 »
im not sure if this is what you mean

a few of use were tubing a loch few weeks ago for the last week of the trout season on a loch which i cant name(not alould to). on the way to the loch we were speeking about how it would ne nice it there was a run of salmon and how fun it would be to hook one from the tube

after a few great hours of browns throwing themselfs at your flee we hit a hard patch and the mind statred wandering about the salmon run 10 minutes later a red one about 4lb was on the bank

when i got home i went on the net and theres no record of them being caught in that loch

was it a extra sence,  instinct or just luck

stuart

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 17/10/2010 at 09:21 »
If you have been fishing for a few years ...... do you ever experience 'instinct'?

Yes, I think you could call it that..... there's been a few times when I've been fishing or out with chums and/or guests that I've covered water they would have not bothered with and I/they have caught fish. With Salmon in rivers and lochs and browns on big lochs (in particular) it works with me, it could be instinct (I call it a gut 'feeling') or it could be experienced 'conditioning' in that I've been doing it for a while, know what to look for, the conditions are right etc which is a positive 'switch' bringing around a gut feeling. Is that instinct :? Could be, could be :cool:

:z3

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 17/10/2010 at 18:08 »
I'm sure it was Hugh Falkus in one of his books that wrote a chapter on this, some people have a kind of 6th sense and can strike into a fish before they actually feel it.

I don't think that it is something that can be learned , some people have it and some don't. I think it could  go a long way in explaining how 2 poeple fishing from the same boat using the same gear , same lines , same flies can have differing sucess.

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com