Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Fly Fishing Magazines
« on: 16/10/2010 at 11:45 »
Hi folks :cool:

Just been reading my favourite fly fishing magazine. You know, you can't beat a hard copy mag, I still enjoy reading the good ones after all these years.

There have been one or two folk suggesting that their online magazines will replace them, can't see that happening myself, these usually fizzle out after an initial flurry of activity :z4 or if they do become relatively successful, end up with so many adverts on them that they are almost more commercial than the hard copy mags.

Yes, give me a good hard copy magazine anytime :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

Re: Fly Fishing Magazines
« Reply #1 on: 16/10/2010 at 16:43 »
I subscribe to T & S and FF & FT , I agree Mike the net is fine but I do not think you will ever replace the paper copy. I think all the magazies do well with what is a difficult job to keep things fresh. Basically fly fishing has not changed in form or tactis for hundreds of years , yes tackle has moved on but there is only so much you can write about that.

So its a thumbs up for the magazines from me  :z16

:z18

Jim

Stuart Smith

« Reply #2 on: 16/10/2010 at 20:07 »
im for the mags too. i love looking at mags i got years ago

stuart

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 16/10/2010 at 21:10 »
I like a hard copy too. The thing I find is that I like to change up which one I buy, there are only so many different topics they can cover!

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 16/10/2010 at 21:38 »
There are some good online mags out there, some not so great same goes for printed mags.

As far as them replacing hard copies?  I don't think so & I would not like to see it, I hate reading a large amount of text off a PC monitor.  The only one I buy with the intention of reading cover to cover is FF&FT, it has some different stuff in it to the other main mags and Magnums reviews are the only ones out there worth reading, period.  I wish there were some bigger reviews carried out in FF&FT, something along the lines of those carried out by the other popular mags but in a more objective and less nonsensical confusing fashion.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 18/10/2010 at 20:46 »
It's been a lazy standing order for more years than I can remember but I've cancelled my TF subscription. Paul Proctors' articles were the only real modern attraction. Think I'll transfer to FF&FT rather than buying it ad hoc.

Can't be easy keeping everyone happy.............what about a new magazine 'River Fly Fishing for Trout & Grayling With A Special Profile On A Wild Loch Monthly' ??????

No? Title too short?

Tiam

« Reply #6 on: 19/10/2010 at 00:21 »
Like the sound of that magazine ^^
But the title is somewhat short, i would recommend putting a bit more info into it :grin
Nobody read 'Trout and Salmon' ?? :?

Tiam

Kev Danby

« Reply #7 on: 19/10/2010 at 20:56 »
It may not be everyones cup of tea but Trout and Salmon annual subscription can be puchased for £9.50 before 6th Dec after that time £13.50.

How?

Tesco clubcard vouchers.

You could argue since you have recieved the vouchers for money already spent you get the magazine for free

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 19/10/2010 at 21:05 »
I do like to browse through a magazine but i find the internet a far better tool!
If it wasnt for the internet i doubt i would have learnt the little i do know in such a short period of time!
As for the friends and aquantences  :z3 i have met along the road are priceless!
I would not miss magazines if they stopped sellling them  :z6

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 19/10/2010 at 21:15 »
Although I do agree on the point that there is a wealth of info at our fingertips with the NET, I much prefer the versatility and 'easiness' of the hard copy over an e-magazine................ they're not for me I'm afraid.

They're the only glossies her indoors let's me peruse whilst evacuating ones bowels.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 19/10/2010 at 21:34 »
Ah yes, the Porcelain Palace :z4

Dave Bisset

« Reply #11 on: 19/10/2010 at 21:45 »
Whatever happened to Salmon, Trout & Sea Trout magazine? not seen it for a while now, that was quality.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #12 on: 20/10/2010 at 08:35 »
Whatever happened to Salmon, Trout & Sea Trout magazine? not seen it for a while now, that was quality.

It stopped publishing several years ago but I don't know if it wasn't making a profit or if the company that published it had losses elsewhere.

I much prefer printed magazines for their convenience. As I don't have a laptop, I cant take an e-magazine to my armchair by the log stove or leave it on the kitchen table to browse while I'm having breakfast or put it on the table while I'm tying flies. Also it's easier to flick back and forth between the pages.

Anyway I spend too much of my time stuck in front of a computer screen during the working day so I'm glad to get away from it.

Irvine

« Reply #13 on: 20/10/2010 at 12:28 »
I also prefer a hard copy magazine, only buy Trout and Salmon or Flyfishing and Flytying these days.

Comments about convenience of a hard copy made me wonder if Gizmos like the IPad will make online magazines more popular.

Admittedly I do not read only magazines regularly but when I have I have found that the articles are not the same quality as those found in print.  This could be due to better funding generated by sales of hard copy magazines, and make me wonder if people would be willing to pay for access to an online magazine.

Robbie

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com