Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

darren78

Blank question
« on: 13/10/2010 at 20:31 »
How is a blank weight determined?  when you look for a blank online for instance you can get a 9foot 5/6 weight or a 9foot 7/8 weight and so on, were does the weight come from? and/or how is that incorporated into a blank when it is being rolled.

Thanks Darren

Peter McCallum

Re: Blank question
« Reply #1 on: 13/10/2010 at 22:39 »
The number refers to the weight of line a rod is designed to cast, not the physical weight of the blank. So the 5 weight is for a five weight line and the 7/8 either a 7 ot 8 weight line.

Hope this helps

Peter

darren78

« Reply #2 on: 14/10/2010 at 11:53 »
Thanks Rabbitangler, i understand the numbers is the line weight, but how is the line weight determined when rolling a blank, i can buy a blank that's rolled for a certain line weight what makes the blank suited to that line weight?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 14/10/2010 at 13:38 »
Darren

it's a guide as always, based on someone having built the blank into a rod
and tried it out during the R&D stage.
You may find you prefer a blank rated as a 5 wt as a 4 or a 6 wt , the same as any rod you try
if you can, try a rod already built on the blank. Just as if you were buying a rod.
There are no hard and fast rules, personal preference has a lot to do with it.
Otherwise trust the blank designer and take what is written, as correct and choose an appropriate blank.
Action is a bigger issue than line weight in many cases.
Try if you can , or take a gamble :wink
I'm sure it will all be fun

sandy

darren78

« Reply #4 on: 15/10/2010 at 09:56 »
Thanks Spiderman

Ok i understand now, it obviously comes with years and years of experience and skill when rolling blanks that a line weight can be matched to a blank, and its more than i will ever need to no about blanks it was something i never understood and just had to ask :z16

Having taking an interest in building my own and reading the endless info on here i think i will give it a go not sure what yet maybe tackle changing eyes on my old rod for a start.

Darren

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com