Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Winter Projects?
« on: 13/10/2010 at 15:17 »
So ..... any projects lined up for this winter folks?

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

Re: Winter Projects?
« Reply #1 on: 13/10/2010 at 15:33 »
a 13ft cts affinity DQ 8/9, and a 10ft cts affinity MX 5wt.

Just beginning to get the bits and peices together to build the 13ft rod.

Will get a few pictures together as I go.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 13/10/2010 at 16:10 »
Cool :z16

Stuart Smith

« Reply #3 on: 13/10/2010 at 23:34 »
im going to strip two of my rods, handles, joints etc.anyone know where to get good cork handles?

stuart

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 14/10/2010 at 01:33 »
Define good?

Mike might have some :wink

I've 3 blanks on order and I've already got the componants shipped out
so plenty to keep me busy, a nice 5 wt saltwater rod beckons :cool:

sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #5 on: 14/10/2010 at 08:20 »
Stuart

If Mike does not have any, try David Norwich

http://www.davidnorwich.com/Rodcomponents.htm

He can turn the handles to your exact specification.

Good luck with the re-build

Irvine

Alex Burnett

« Reply #6 on: 16/10/2010 at 11:26 »

Two Barrio 3wt 9ft 4pc Blanks & a Barrio LC905-3, all with wooden Handles of course :wink

Alex

Stuart Smith

« Reply #7 on: 16/10/2010 at 11:32 »
thanks i will look into it.i did try a couple of years ago to get good handles but trying to get good quality cork isnt easy.even the new rods you look at have crap handles

if im going to put new handles on im going to do it right the first time

i will let you know how it goes

stuart

stickleback

« Reply #8 on: 16/10/2010 at 19:52 »
 :cry :cry Repairing my 14' CTS Affinity Plus - it snapped whilst playing a 10 pound fish a week or so ago.  I'm just away to send the broken section off to New Zealand for a replacement.  I wasn't giving the fish welly or anything like that so I reckon there must have been a flaw - it basically sheared at the male ferule of the second section  :cry :cry  Still managed to land the fish though  :z12

:z18

Cammy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 19/10/2010 at 02:58 »
Cammy

can I ask a question?
Were the joints taped?, I'm sure they were
but that Is the biggest cause of failures by ferrules
CTS are generally very good blanks, but I guess nothing is perfect
keep us informed with the outcome :z16

sandy

darren78

« Reply #10 on: 19/10/2010 at 20:16 »
I have my first rod that i never use now sitting in a cupboard that the tip section keeps coming loose on a days fishing, after reading on here about the PPB and then checking it i noticed the tip section eyes are set 90 degrees to the inside of the curve and that is what i think is making it come loose, so i will order a complete set of eyes and have a go at whipping and if all goes well  there hope to build a rod from scratch :z16

stickleback

« Reply #11 on: 19/10/2010 at 20:17 »
Were the joints taped?

On this occasion they were 'waxed' instrad of taped.  Until very recently I habitually taped them, then a very experienced salmon anglng friend put a wee bit of special wax on the ferules which apparently does a similar job as tape, ie stops the joints from working loose ?  

I too wondered if it was a previously loose joint that had caused the problem, but if I'm out fishing for any length of time (not often enough these days !!) I periodically check the joints and I've never been aware of them working loose.  Also, when it happened I'd only been fishing for about half an hour  :z8  

Anyway, today I sent the two sections affected away to CTS in New Zealand - the broken one, and the other with the snapped ferule stuck inside it, which CTS have advised they will be able to remove the stuck bit from.  I'm not sure how long the return journey will take becasue just after the courier collected it I glanced at the shipment note and saw he had listed the destination country as "Aukland, Australia" despite me telling him it was New Zealand.  The courier company have assured me they've now sorted the error. :z4  

Cammy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com