Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ColinC

Methods
« on: 12/10/2010 at 22:17 »
I know this is mainly a fly fishing forum but I wonder what you think about other methods for catching trout.  

Fly -  I am fairly new to this and have to say it isn't easy compared to other methods but I enjoy the anticipation of waiting for a fish to take a dry fly.

Spinning - Magic when you feel that 'tug' on the lure but not a method to use for hours as it's sore on the arms.

Edit:(BUBBLE)Float - Great method for relaxing in the sun,exciting when you realize your float is gone under or is moving side to side. Although no real skill needed to catch fish

Ledger(ing) - Can be productive when the fish are on the bottom, combine an indication weight makes it fun watching the fish playing with the bait.    

Kev Danby

Re: Methods
« Reply #1 on: 12/10/2010 at 22:37 »
I think this depends on your fishing background and how open minded you are to all methods.

Those are quite broad statements to make especially the float fishing.

With all these methods practice and presentation is everything.

ColinC

« Reply #2 on: 12/10/2010 at 23:07 »

Those are quite broad statements to make especially the float fishing.

I see your point, what I meant say is bubble float.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 12/10/2010 at 23:50 »
As long as you ain't breaking the rules it's your choice, as I've said several times it's not th method we should worry about but the man.

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 17/10/2010 at 09:27 »
I know this is mainly a fly fishing forum but I wonder what you think about other methods for catching trout.  

They all have their place IMHO, certainly when you're starting out it's useful to try a broad spectrum of methods as, ultimately, I believe it will make you a better fly fisherman as you work out how to present flies in way similar to the way a bait may have been presented :z16 I appreciate that might not be a commonly shared view, but it worked for me  :wink
:z3

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com