Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dario

Does size really matters?
« on: 10/10/2010 at 15:10 »
Yep.... don’t worry, I am in the right forum  :wink .

It should really read size and weight, but as it is, I thought it would grab more attention.

I have been told that traditionally or historically, catching a big fish meant, that you probably hooked a fish that has survived many winters, avoided being capture for many years. Therefore I can see the sense of achievement and the reason for celebration.

Nowadays we still seem to hope to catch the big fish, although most of them don't reach that size on natural feeding. Nothing wrong with stockies, in fact all the places I fish are all stocked.

Even in magazines, the typical photo of a good catch, or a prize winner fish, is always linked to a “big” fish.

My biggest fish has not been over the 5 pounds mark, but I have seen many double figures caught, I still get more satisfaction from fish around the mark of 2 to 4 pounds, particularly if they are good fighters.

So my open question to the forum are:

Does Size really matter?
Can you really aim at catching a big fish or is it just luck?
What is the weight preference?

Dario  :z18

Jim Eddie

Re: Does size really matters?
« Reply #1 on: 10/10/2010 at 15:43 »
Dario

Might be a cliche but it does not really matter that much to me, I honestly don't know the actual weight of the fish that I've caught, I'm not really one for PB's in actual fact I hate the expression.
Each to their own though, as for big fish I would say that unless you are waiting all day for the big fish to rise  and targeting it , for most anglers its a matter of luck.
I'm just happy to be out fishing and catching a fish of any size is a bonus, having said that I may eventually buy one of those weigh net thingies  :wink

:z18

Jim   

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com