Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ColinC

Winter Fishing
« on: 09/10/2010 at 23:04 »
I normally only fish during the summer because it's nice and warm most of the time. What are the main differences with winter fishing except it's freezing?  :z2

Michael Buchan

Re: Winter Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 10/10/2010 at 10:20 »
Unless you head south for a chance at the grayling winter fishing means stillwater trout as the rivers round here are closed  :cry

The main differences are that the fish will usually be deeper in the water and more lethargic than in summer therefore the conventinal wisdom is to fish deep and slow.  Usually winter is when lures become the norm however nymphs and drys can also be productive at times.

The best time of day to fish also changes from early and late in the summer to around midday in winter giving the fish a chance to warm up.

Michael

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 10/10/2010 at 15:45 »
Basically its what Michael has said. I think its more important to get the depth right in winter as the trout tend not to chase a fly.
As well as the Rainbows, I'll do a bit of Sea fishing and have a go for the Grayling in the winter.

:z18

Jim

ColinC

« Reply #3 on: 12/10/2010 at 21:40 »
Thank you, hopefully I will brave the elements and get out fishing this winter.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com