Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter McCallum

broken rods
« on: 08/10/2010 at 23:23 »
This may be a strange request but does anyone have a fly rod ready for the bin? Looking for one with a busted botom section. Make & model immaterial  but preferably a 5 or 6 weight.

Mike Barrio

Re: broken rods
« Reply #1 on: 08/10/2010 at 23:27 »
Got a few with broken tips Peter :z7

What are you up to? :z3

Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 09/10/2010 at 10:48 »
Looking to make up a wee burn (say it quietly) spinning rod. not sure if this will work so i'm not wanting to spend money at present. If I can suss one out then i may invest in a blank and modify one.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 09/10/2010 at 23:36 »
Hi Peter,

I've 3 similar rods, featuring.....................A Berkley Phazer 7 wt tip (less 3"), a Leeda Dragonfly 6 wt tip and a Diawa Whisker 6wt tip. Half wells handle on the first 2 and a full wells on the third.
Originaly I used the Berkley Phazer tip when worming a wee burn, with a spool of mono lying at my feet. this was workable until I hooked a 1 1/4" Brownie and got in a pickle so I added a half wells cork handle and a reel seat - this coupled with a £2.50 fixed spool reel from GAC (only reel that the feet would fit the seat) was the dogs and many small fish were taken in style.

Shortly after, I received a tip of a whisker to which I added the full wells handle and a reel seat - here's where the fun began. After numerous small browns to 1/2 lb fishing the worm in the small burn I moved on to worming a small river where I continued to catch lots of wee trout and even had a memorable day catching 2 x 2lb & 1 x 1lb+ Browns. I was hooked on these 3 1/2 - 4 1/2' rods. I fished Midmar years ago with the whisker and although it could be hard going casting a fly for long periods with this rod , it was awsome playing a decent rainbow on it.
Best fish so far on the Whisker was out at Aboyne Loch when I gave it a real going over  - I fished a strip of mackerel under a float - which was surprisingly easy to cast. The long and short of it was that I hooked and landed a 4lb Pike with minimal fuss.

These are very hardy & versatile rods and I'm sure you'll make one that gives you untold pleasure - hopefully not with rapalas :z4

The third rod I made (fitted a hadle to really) was for my loons 1st birthday & I can't wait for him to put a bend in it.

I would post pictures of these rods but as there are a hard core or expert builders on here I'll save the ridicule.

Iain

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #4 on: 10/10/2010 at 20:50 »
PM sent....

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com