Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: Fishing this weekend?
« Reply #30 on: 11/10/2010 at 22:58 »
Sorry for the stupid question but I take it you trim from the rear taper rather than the front taper?

Matt,

I worked out that I wanted about 15g at 26' to use with 7' polyleaders.  I chopped off about 40' of DT 10 and cut bits of front & rear until i got the length / weight right.  I chopped back the front until it felt slightly thicker than the thickest polyleader I would be throwing, the intermediate.  My head turns quite hard, I would not remove all of the front taper although if using 10' tips as Michale is then it may be o.k.  removed a few inches at a time and cast it until it feels right.

Unlucky Michael, I'm out tomorrow, will see what turns up

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #31 on: 12/10/2010 at 10:00 »
is making your own more or less hassle than getting an iLine?  Given that I could make my own from an 8quid john norris floating DT and some shooting line etc?  compared to the £65 for an iLine?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 12/10/2010 at 11:08 »
is making your own more or less hassle than getting an iLine?  Given that I could make my own from an 8quid john norris floating DT and some shooting line etc?  compared to the £65 for an iLine?

It's certainly more fun! :wink

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #33 on: 12/10/2010 at 21:30 »

Matt,

Given that you can make your own for a few quid it is worth a try.  You really need to be able to haul to get the best out of a shooting heads, you will probably find the iline easier to cast and it will work straight out of the box.  With a home made head you can get it set up for your exact requirements but it will take a bit of playing with.

CHeers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #34 on: 12/10/2010 at 22:24 »
Sorry Ben more questions!

Do you need to be able to haul if you plan to use the shooting head for singlehanded spey casting? Lots to consider! Although I'll need to build the rod to go without it first!

Cheers
Matt

Ben Dixon

« Reply #35 on: 12/10/2010 at 22:27 »
HI Matt,

You really do need to be able to haul to get a shooting head working properly on a single hander whether Spey or overhead casting particularly if trying to move tips or bigger flies about.

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #36 on: 12/10/2010 at 22:37 »
Thanks Ben. I warn you though I'll need to pick your brains again I'm sure!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com