Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Poll

How many flies do you fish?? Wind permitting!

1 fly
12.5%
2 (12.5%)
2 flies
50%
8 (50%)
3 flies
31.3%
5 (31.3%)
4 flies
6.3%
1 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Barry Robertson

How many flies??
« on: 06/10/2010 at 21:57 »
When fishing for trout either from boat or bank, how many flies would you normally fish wind permitting?
What do you consider as to many flies and what would you consider as not enough?
Intrested as most fisheries alow you up to 4 hooks but some restrict you !
Obviously every method is differant , ie dry fly, nymphing and pulling lures!
Lets just presume we were nymphing or pulling lures  :z18
Any thoughts much appreciated

Baz

Noel Kelly

Re: How many flies??
« Reply #1 on: 06/10/2010 at 22:23 »
2, less tangles and better distance.  Only time I fish more than 2 is when Lough stylin and that's just habit. I don't think it makes much of a difference tbh its more the presentation.  I have had great success recently fishing a large DHS on a long leader  :z8

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 06/10/2010 at 23:11 »
3 when fishing most stillwaters if fishing nymphs or spiders which is my usual method.  If on dries I usually fish one as I find I get better results that way, lures one or two unless I'm at Haddo when I'll fish 4  :z4

Brown trout on a loch then I'll always fish three, spiders on the river then its three flies, same when fishing bugs, upstream nymphing is usually a single fly or two max.

Cheers

Ben

« Reply #3 on: 07/10/2010 at 07:57 »
I normally fish two flies, used to fish three flies but in the last couple of seasons have been fishing two flies and not noticed much change in catch rates.  This probably just means that the number of flies is not the problem.  :P

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #4 on: 07/10/2010 at 09:19 »
Like you said it depends what the flies are but i generally fish with two wets/lures/buzzers for rainbows. I get less tangles this way.
When fishing for browns on a loch i would go for 3 because i like a bushy bob fly.

I voted 2.  :z16

Paul

Michael Buchan

« Reply #5 on: 07/10/2010 at 10:46 »
Generally on the river i fish 1 for dry fly, 1 for salmon, 2-3 for nymphs and spiders.

On a stillwater i normally fish 2 sometimes when fishing buzzers or nymphs ill fish three normally a bushy dry flie like a stimulator with 2 nymphs tied new zeland style to the bend.

Michael

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 07/10/2010 at 22:50 »
Up til this year I always used fish 2 drys on the river. It worked really well sometimes. Went back to the conventional one this year and catches were definitely down. 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 08/10/2010 at 23:37 »
Generally on the river i fish 1 for dry fly, 1 for salmon, 2-3 for nymphs and spiders.

On a stillwater i normally fish 2 sometimes when fishing buzzers or nymphs ill fish three

I'm with you on that one Michael

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 18/10/2010 at 20:31 »

On a stillwater i normally fish 2 sometimes when fishing buzzers or nymphs ill fish three normally a bushy dry flie like a stimulator with 2 nymphs tied new zeland style to the bend.

I'm with Michael on this one.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com