Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Olley

Thermal undies
« on: 26/01/2007 at 23:04 »
Hi
I am going float tubing tomorrow fully protected by my new thermal underwear.
I bought one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/thermal-wooly-bear-all-in-peice-suit-sz-L-carp-pole_W0QQitemZ230083352875QQihZ013QQcategoryZ36158QQcmdZViewItem

I have been using it when I go Pike fishing and have had to shed clothes.
best 9.99s worth I had for a while :grin:

Mike Barrio

Thermal undies
« Reply #1 on: 26/01/2007 at 23:29 »
I hope you like your new avatar Dave?  :z4

You were just asking for this  :wink:

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Thermal undies
« Reply #2 on: 27/01/2007 at 18:13 »
Dave,
I often shed clothes when I go Piking, but thats to do with the Pike dance ceremony I do on the banks!!! :lol:

I use Helly Hansons Lifa thermals...used them for years in the Army etc so have become very attached to them...really must wsh them sometime!  :sad:

Dave Olley

Pike fishing
« Reply #3 on: 27/01/2007 at 22:59 »
Hi Rob
I have been meaning to get in touch re pike fishing for the tube.
I have a spare tube at the moment so if you have some waders and thermals, how about showing me how to catch a pike on the fly  :wink:
(as long as you don't shed any clothes while we are doing it :z4 )

Mike Barrio

Thermal undies
« Reply #4 on: 28/01/2007 at 17:40 »
Here is "Wooly Bear" Dave having fun in the ice on Haddo  :cool:

Best wishes
Mike Barrio
 :z2

PDScott

Thermal undies
« Reply #5 on: 28/01/2007 at 22:25 »
No wonder Dave is warm - by the look of his tube he is jet-propelled! Is he your secret weapon for breaking the ice, Mike?

Hamish Young

Thermal undies
« Reply #6 on: 28/01/2007 at 23:46 »
Quote from: "PDScott"
- by the look of his tube he is jet-propelled!

proudly sponsored by Heinz, 57 varieties  :wink:

Sandy Nelson

Thermal undies
« Reply #7 on: 29/01/2007 at 06:55 »
My Mum always used to say " Do you think I came down the Don on a Banana Boat"

Now i know what she means :lol:

Looks bloody cold to me, but how did the new banana boat go in the water Dave?

Sandy

Dave Olley

Thermal undies
« Reply #8 on: 29/01/2007 at 10:44 »
CCCCCCCCCCCCCold!!!!!????  Just a touch. Now I know how the Titanic felt.
As far as the new tube goes I would like to point out the following :
I chose the yellow colour for a very good and practical reason. They were on offer. Just the yellow for some reason ?
It feels very different to what I am used to so may take a bit of adjustment.
The high sitting position means that you have much less of "you" in the water which is warmer, but you do feel that you want to get your feet / fins in deeper for more purchase. The seat is much larger and more comfortable that the caddis, which had a tendency to dig in to the back of the legs, but the thickness of the seat tends to interfere with backward movement of the legs.This may just be an adjustment on my part, I think I need to use it a few more times.
It is easy to propel as it sits on rather than in the water, less drag, but it does seem a bit sensitive to the wind blowing at an angle on the bow, tends to turn you around.
It has urethane bladders which I like and an excellent valve / inflation system. It is also very robust with 1000 denier PVC to the bottom parts.
The only problem is that when wet waders rub against wet PVC it produces a very annoying squeaking sound :z6
I think I need to use it a few time to get a proper feel for it, I would also like to try it with some different fins, but I think I will wait for some warmer weather.
 :grin:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com