Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Dirty Water?
« on: 03/10/2010 at 15:24 »
Hi folks :cool:

Somebody was working a digger to clear a flooded ditch upstream of Haddo yesterday and a very brown loch greeted us this morning :z6

So what do you do, a Yellow Dancer perhaps, Cats Whisker, White Fritz, Yellow Fritz, or the usual "black fly" for dirty water? ........ No, today's anglers are doing very well indeed, even catching some cracking Broons of up to 4 lb and all with dry flies! :shock

Trout just don't read the books! :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

Re: Dirty Water?
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2010 at 15:45 »
Seem to be a good few of the large browns being caught lately Mike, why would you think that's happening?

Quickcast 84

« Reply #2 on: 03/10/2010 at 16:23 »
the water was a bit brown yesterday from the hut to the top end,we still had a good day.highlight's being 10 brown's between us,4 of which being in the 4lb-5lb range  :grin also a few cracking bows up to 9lb and great fighting condition.
thanks again mike  :z16

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 03/10/2010 at 16:41 »
Seem to be a good few of the large browns being caught lately Mike, why would you think that's happening?

I really do think browns are so much smarter than bows and know winter is coming, its normal i think to get big browns at the tail end of the season, packing on the weight for the winter months!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 03/10/2010 at 16:48 »
I really do think browns are so much smarter than bows and know winter is coming, its normal i think to get big browns at the tail end of the season, packing on the weight for the winter months!

Aye young Bazil , I think nail hit squarely on head  :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

Quickcast 84

« Reply #5 on: 03/10/2010 at 17:03 »
hi bigtroot
i think the stocked browns are just as stupid as the bows to be honest,they are both stocked fish and will take almost anything you cast at them lures/drys etc etc.a wild brown on the other hand,i would agree that they are much smarter than a any bow

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 03/10/2010 at 18:54 »
I think that a stocked brown is only silly for a short period of time once put into a new water, give it a couple of weeks and i reckon they wise up very quick!
Its not often you here of lots of browns appearing in one persons catch but at this time of year i reckon on rescobie for example i could pretty much gaurantee a brown in most peoples catchs!
They just seam to  feed hard at this time of year hence lots of them showing up at the scales!
just my thoughts of course  :z3

Matt Henderson

« Reply #7 on: 03/10/2010 at 19:52 »
Does it's environment not make a difference too? Some fisheries will be wilder than others?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 04/10/2010 at 00:35 »
Interesting questions guys. When I first opened Haddo years ago we caught Broons in good numbers, then they slowly "disappeared" and were not caught very often. A couple of years later I stocked some brownies and we started to catch the originals again almost straight away :roll ( easy to tell by their different colouring ) I don't know why this was, but I suspect it has something to do with competing for a specific food item in the loch? :z17

Over the past couple of weeks, since stocking some brownies in the loch ....... I am seeing the same thing happen again, we are catching some of the resident brownies that have not been making an appearance for a while :cool:

Also interesting to note that these fish appear to be feeding more at around midday at the moment :z3

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com