Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Garrigan

Tying with snowshoe question.....
« on: 02/10/2010 at 18:04 »
Just ordered myself some snowshoe for tying emergers and to replace cdc in some of my patterns. I spoke to Kevin and Peter at the Don day briefly about this material but have a couple of questions.....

Can i use all of the fur on the foot or am i looking to take hair from a particular part?
I have ordered med Dun. Is this the closest colour to natural cdc?
Do i use the same amount as cdc or less or more?

Cheers
Paul

Stuart Smith

Re: Tying with snowshoe question.....
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2010 at 10:58 »
when you get the foot you only want to use the darker coarser hair on the soul of the foot.i trim away around the sides before i use the foot to make it easyer.

as for the amount you use i allways put to much on you dont need alot to make a fly float.if you put to much on the hook cant cock the fly and it sits on its side

since ive started using it i havent used cdc.its great to use and when you catch a trout you can use the flie again

stuart :z12

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #2 on: 04/10/2010 at 08:19 »
Cheers for that Stuart. Will see how i get on when it arrives. I will try and post some pics of how i get on.  :z16

Paul

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 04/10/2010 at 11:05 »
I tend to comb some of the very short underfur out before tying in as it bulks up the wing a lot.  Doesn't affect floating too much but makes the body much neater as theres less of a bump.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com