Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Gary

Ghillies
« on: 26/01/2007 at 20:22 »
Hi there.

As a birthday present I was given a day of guided trout fishing on the river Tweed.

Was just wondering what sort of amount to give as a tip at the end of the day.

Anyone else done some fishing on the Tweed?

Cheers,
Gary.

Hamish Young

Ghillies
« Reply #1 on: 26/01/2007 at 20:34 »
Gary,
Welcome to the forum - nice present to be given  :wink:
In some cases it's inappropriate to tip  :shock:  However in general anything less than a tenner is just insulting provided you received good service  :idea:
I have not fished the Tweed for trout - yet  :cool:

wildfisher

Ghillies
« Reply #2 on: 27/01/2007 at 09:21 »
Gary,

Know nothing  about the Tweed myself but I know plenty of folk who do.    Register at http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/smf/index.php  and you will find lots of experienced Tweed anglers to keep you right.  Allan Liddle reckons it is the best trout river in Scotland.

wendy

Ghillies
« Reply #3 on: 01/02/2007 at 23:58 »
I really thought a ghillie was a rod  :lol:

Sandy Nelson

Ghillies
« Reply #4 on: 02/02/2007 at 15:35 »
Dear me Fred :roll:

Another shameless tout for members :z6

:lol:

Sandy

wildfisher

Ghillies
« Reply #5 on: 02/02/2007 at 19:20 »
Well Sandy  there  did not seem to be very much at all in the way of useful information forthcoming,  so someone  had to suggest  something!  :grin:

Hamish Young

Ghillies
« Reply #6 on: 03/02/2007 at 17:13 »
I dunno Fred - I kind of thought I answered the first part/main question relatively well  :wink:

wildfisher

Ghillies
« Reply #7 on: 03/02/2007 at 21:00 »
Quote from: "HAMISH"
I dunno Fred - I kind of thought I answered the first part/main question relatively well  :wink:

Indeed you did Hamish, however you forgot to mention the  bottle of malt. As the story goes, when an old gillie was asked what he  does when the client brings no whisky he answered "och well, I just take them to places where there are no fish"  :grin:

Paul Rankine

Tweed ghillies
« Reply #8 on: 05/02/2007 at 22:26 »
Hi Gary,
             How much the tip is should be reflected by the service you receive. If you are happy with it by all means give the ghillie a bottle of malt , he will appreciate it no doubt !

However, and this is the really hard bit , if the service is crap , the manner inappropriate and you are made to feel in any way uncomfortable
then state clearly why , and don't give them anything , with dignity.

I suspect that you will be buying more than one bottle though , Tweed Ghillies are generally pretty damn good.

Paul.

Gary

Ghillies
« Reply #9 on: 14/02/2007 at 13:47 »
Cheers for the help.  Best get to Oddbins!  :z2  :z4

Gordy66m

Gillies
« Reply #10 on: 14/02/2007 at 14:10 »
But what if the Gillie concerned is an ex copper

Hamish Young

Ghillies
« Reply #11 on: 14/02/2007 at 17:10 »
Aye - also, is it a guide or a ghillie :?: IMHO there's a big difference  :shock:
Most ghillies I've known/met/worked with would take the cold hard cash over a bottle of malt every time, although the bottle on top of a tip would never be unwelcome  :wink:

Dutchfly

Ghillies
« Reply #12 on: 16/02/2007 at 12:36 »
Hi Gary,

A couple of years ago, I've fished the Middle Tweed, near Galashiels. I bought the permit in the shop in Melrose, where they informed me that for that particular stretch of river, no ghillie would be recuired.

Caught some lovely trout of about 1/2 lb / 1 lb. F Fly fished downstream did the trick (only when the fly dragged, the fish took). Good fun on a 3 weight!

Good luck,

Jeroen

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com