Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Classic Trout Patterns
« on: 01/10/2010 at 10:58 »
The old classic trout patterns are still around for a reason ....... I guess because they are still good fish catchers! :wink

Which ones have you enjoyed success with this year on small stillwaters like Haddo?

Flies like the Bibio, Pheasant Tail Nymph and Black Spider feature in the catch records on a regular basis.

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

Re: Classic Trout Patterns
« Reply #1 on: 01/10/2010 at 13:03 »
Mike

For me its the Black Pennell , Bibio , Greneadier, Greenwells spider and March Brown Spider.

:z18

Jim

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 01/10/2010 at 22:38 »
As always

The Waterhen Bloa.

Everything else i use with success is a slight variation, mostly classic patterns but with a wee twist :z7
The WB is about the only fly i use in "stock" config.

Funny i thought i had a list when i started to post :z6 but as i thought about each fly i realised this is the only one i don't mess about with :roll.

Sandy

Stuart Smith

« Reply #3 on: 03/10/2010 at 10:47 »
ive had alot of fish on a peach babydoll the last few years.big or small waters a size 10 and you cant go wrong

it seams to work better for browns

stuart

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #4 on: 03/10/2010 at 11:08 »
When fishing for browns in lochs i usually always have a kate mclaren somewhere on my leader. Spiders in their many variations are never far away either.

I tend to forget about traditional stuff when fishing for rainbows. I dont really know why.  :z8 I should probably change my ways!! :z13

Paul

Steven Kidd

« Reply #5 on: 06/10/2010 at 09:21 »
I prefer traditionals all the time for my fishing and try to stick to them when I can....

This year for me I have had good success with:

Black Pennell
Pearly Pennell
Kate McLaren
Claret Bumble
Cinammon Gold
Greenwells Glory

Cheers,

Skidd

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 18/10/2010 at 21:11 »
I think fashion has a lot to do with it..................when I were t'lad traditional wets made up the vast majority of the river fly box and they caught fish no prob's.
New materials, access to new fancy patterns from all corners of the globe, tales of new nymphing methods (for example) had us searching for better, more innovative, holy grail flies and techniques.
Truth is the insects haven't changed and the fish know it - traditional spiders and wets are very much in vogue

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com