Mike

Noel Kelly

Re: Haddo Brown Trout
« Reply #32 on: 01/11/2010 at 21:04 »
That's a hefty looking fish Matt  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #33 on: 01/11/2010 at 22:25 »
The Broons have been appearing in good numbers again this week and in a good variety of sizes, from around 12 oz up to 5 lbs :cool:

Cheers
Mike

briser

« Reply #34 on: 04/11/2010 at 11:11 »
Well, this is the first of many I hope at Haddo for me! Caught on a bloody butcher.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #35 on: 29/01/2011 at 18:01 »
Hi folks :cool:

Hmmm, what's the plans for this year?

Haddo has been essentially catch & release since early 2005, I've been gradually stocking smaller and smaller trout in an effort to be more sustainable and have less impact on the environment and I'm very pleased that this has been well received within my customer base.

I plan to continue with this ethos in 2011 and will carry on stocking a high proportion of my trout in the three quarter pound to one and a half pound range. Those of you that fished Haddo on a regular basis last year appeared to enjoy the sport that these fish provided, so I do not feel the need for any changes. I am also planning to continue with the mix of brown trout and rainbow trout. I must confess that I was more than a bit surprised at just how many large fish were caught last year, so it will be interesting to see what 2011 brings :z3

I can't wait for the ice to clear, I've seen some cracking fish swimming about under the ice and I'm hoping that we enjoy the kind of post winter fishing that we did last year!

Best wishes
Mike

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #36 on: 29/01/2011 at 19:01 »
Hi Mike,

I recognise that photo!  That was another excellent day at Haddo not long after you had put your first stock of Brownies in.  It was the day I used my brand spanking new Orvis Helios 8'6" 5wt for the first time.  I caught a one and a half pound Brownie with it's very first cast  :z3 and that 5 lb beauty in the photo not long after.  Mr Dixon will be pleased to hear that the Helios also handled a very irate 10 lb rainbow that day with no trouble at all  :z14

This is my first post on the forum so I hope this works!  I've been viewing the forum as a guest for a long time now and started feeling guilty about being a voyeur!  :shock I read the forum every day as I'm offshore for a month at a time in the Caspian Sea - it helps keep me sane and relieves the boredom.

Praying for a thaw before I get back in a couple of weeks...

Cheers,

Ewan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #37 on: 29/01/2011 at 21:38 »
Hi Ewan
Welcome to the forum :z16

Yes, I remember that day, especially the bit about the brownie on your first cast with your new rod :cool:

Fingers crossed for a thaw :z3

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #38 on: 03/05/2011 at 17:20 »
Progress report and thoughts :z3 ............... I'm really pleased with progress on the "Broons" front, the gradual increase of brown trout stock is coming along nicely and there are days when we catch them in good numbers :cool:

We've had a new record with Frank Thrall catching a cracking six pounder, Broons in the 2 to 5 lb range are caught on a pretty regular basis and the main stock is sitting at about the 12 to 14 inch mark and is providing good sport. The trout appear to have overwintered well and are in great condition :cool:

There have been a few good rises over the past couple of weeks when conditions have been favourable and it has been very pleasing to see that the Broons appear to be more active on the surface than the rainbows. All very positive and just what I was hoping for! :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #39 on: 03/05/2011 at 19:34 »
That's really good to hear Mike :z16 Must get up there soon.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #40 on: 06/05/2011 at 15:35 »
Absolutely awesome today! :z12

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #41 on: 06/05/2011 at 16:14 »
Aww, come on Mike...Details! :z1

EWan

Quickcast 84

« Reply #42 on: 06/05/2011 at 16:40 »
yes details please,i hope it's awesome on sunday  :z4

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #43 on: 06/05/2011 at 16:47 »
Perhaps Mike just means it's Awesome to have internet access for once in the Haddo Hut! :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #44 on: 06/05/2011 at 22:35 »
Yes ...... I got online with the slowband for about 4 minutes! :z4

The surface activity today was simply awesome, from opening time till about 4.30pm, when it got a bit too bright ....... think black and about size 14, so Bibios, Snatchers, Kates, Emergers, Crunchers, Black Pennel, F-Flies etc etc.

Two anglers caught 20 plus fish and one enjoyed a cracking 8 hour session netting himself 50 :shock Most of these were caught on or near the surface and a very high proportion of them were browns!

The fishing was great yesterday, but today really was something special :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com