Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Haddo Brown Trout
« on: 23/09/2010 at 01:11 »
Hi folks :cool:

I have stocked Haddo with some cracking wee brownies this week, something that I haven't done for a while. These are mainly in the 10" to 12" range with a few being just over 1½ lb and they are the very best quality that I could find in Scotland.

I was very tempted to take some photos of these bonnie fish when they went in, but I resisted, as I think it will be more fun to see your photos of them as and when you catch them ..... in the water in the net of course please :wink

I'm looking forward to seeing how this particular group of trout get on in the loch, as they have been reared in a more natural way and may possibly behave differently to previously stocked brownies. Will they prefer to be surface feeders, will they be bottom feeders? Will they be caught on the same flies as the rainbow trout, or will we need to put our thinking caps on to catch them?

Yes, I'm quite excited about this ........  :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Noel Kelly

Re: Haddo Brown Trout
« Reply #1 on: 23/09/2010 at 07:54 »
Nice one Mike Im eager to get round there now to see if I can catch a couple :grin

John Reid

« Reply #2 on: 23/09/2010 at 08:06 »
I am looking forward to seeing a few of these fellas, hopefully attached to my fly.  :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 23/09/2010 at 08:50 »
Congratulations on your new family members Mike :)

Have you named them yet? :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 23/09/2010 at 11:11 »
Congratulations on your new family members Mike :)

Have you named them yet? :)

Hmmm ..... these ones remind me of the brownies that I used to catch in NZ as a youngster, so I reckon that some of them will be named Sheila and the others Trev :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #5 on: 23/09/2010 at 13:57 »
Good luck with it Mike. I will be up soon for a cast. :z16

Paul

Dave Mundie

« Reply #6 on: 23/09/2010 at 18:24 »
I'm looking forward to seeing how this particular group of trout get on in the loch, as they have been reared in a more natural way and may possibly behave differently to previously stocked brownies.

I've often wondered if stocked browns behaved anything like wild ones or more like bows, hence is there the same "thrill" in catching a stocked brown as there is a wild one?

Dave

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 23/09/2010 at 20:58 »
I've often wondered if stocked browns behaved anything like wild ones or more like bows, hence is there the same "thrill" in catching a stocked brown as there is a wild one?

Dave

I guess you'll just have to experience it for yourself Dave :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #8 on: 24/09/2010 at 19:10 »
Great day at Haddo today, in fact my best day there ever :grin Double figure fish that took me well into the backing twice, lots of strong rainbows, a few little fin perfect blues and a couple of the new residents "The Browns" :grin   Excellent day Mike, thanks.  :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 25/09/2010 at 00:39 »
Hi Noel
"The Browns" .... I like it :z16

Chuffed to bits that you enjoyed yourself :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Quickcast 84

« Reply #10 on: 25/09/2010 at 12:27 »
can't wait to get up to haddo next week and have a go for the new species! and not forgetting the blues and bows  :z12

Alex Burnett

« Reply #11 on: 25/09/2010 at 13:06 »
Great day at Haddo today, in fact my best day there ever :grin Double figure fish that took me well into the backing twice, lots of strong rainbows, a few little fin perfect blues and a couple of the new residents "The Browns" :grin   Excellent day Mike, thanks.  :z18

Hi Noel

Shouldn't that be the "BROONS"  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Alex

Noel Kelly

« Reply #12 on: 25/09/2010 at 13:45 »
Guess it should Alex :z16

John Reid

« Reply #13 on: 28/09/2010 at 20:12 »
I echo Noel's post.  Had  a great day at Haddo today and got to meet the 'Broons' as well.

At one point I had a cracking brown on a Klink and a big rainbow took the nymph on the point.  The brown shook the hook unfortunately, however, I was relieved as the rainbow was a handful on the 4 weight!

Thanks again Mike.  Will hopefully see you over the weekend.  :z18

Noel Kelly

« Reply #14 on: 28/09/2010 at 20:19 »
Nice one John :z16 When you say cracking brown just how cracking do you mean?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com