Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Loch Insch
« on: 18/09/2010 at 16:41 »
In the past I have on a few occasions posted a report on a local stocked fishery. It has always been after an exceptionally good day. Well this time its a negative report I'm sorry to say...
Fished Loch Insch this morning for the first time in 4 or 5 years.
It has changed quiet a bit in that time. First thing I noticed was how the trees have grown in the last few years, I liked this as I used think the place was a bit two manicured looking. Its got a more natural look about it that it used have.
Unfortunately this is probably not by design but more from neglect.

The lochs are very very weedy and generally untidy with a fringe of weeds growing around the edges. Perfect for snagging your shooting line on most every cast.
I must have seen 10+ dead and decomposing fish, a few which had lain for a week or more and smelled pretty bad.

Not surprised there would be dead fish with some of the terrible c&r I witnessed. Three guys sharing spliffs and beer who liked to let their fish flap about on the bank before picking them up and throwing them back in...

Generally I would report this kind of  fish abuse but the management didn't seem to leave the hut or have any interest in the anglers so I just packed up and left.

The fishing was not bad, with most seeming to be getting a few fish. The half dozen or so that I had were all in fairly good nick and put up a good fight.
I doubt I will ever go back. :cry

Jim Eddie

Re: Loch Insch
« Reply #1 on: 18/09/2010 at 18:23 »
Sorry to hear that Noel  :z10  Looks like the mangement need to take a hard look at themselves. no excuses for that.

:z18

Jim

« Reply #2 on: 21/09/2010 at 17:20 »
  A few years ago, I also reported on this forum about the state of the place, although I am led to believe that it is now under different management.
  At that time, a lot of people on this forum reacted very badly to my criticism, fortunately a lot more agreed. Surely this is one of the functions of a forum, to advise and guide people with regard to our sport!
  If there are still, dead, dying and diseased fish in Loch Insch, as there was then, then surely something about the fishery needs to be addressed, I, for one, have never been back.
  There are many top quality fisheries about, with fish that give an excellent account of themselves and are in tip top form, that are run by friendly and knowledgeable people, we, the angler should encourage these and boycott the others, if not for the sake of our sport, but also for the well being of our quarry.
  I, for one, spend a lot of money annually for my sport, perhaps, now is the time to let our wallets do the talking and maybe, just maybe, the fishery owners will take heed.
  Well done for highlighting the shortcomings of this once  excellent fishery, that other anglers can now make a more informed opinion when deciding where to fish for their next outing.

Kev Danby

« Reply #3 on: 22/09/2010 at 12:50 »
From my experience I think weed can be a problem in most of the stocked fisheries in this area but at Insch there does seem to a lot of weed growth. With four lochs at Insch to maintain this must be quite a challenge. I'm led to believe one of the issues is the chemicals used to control weed growth have been banned and a replacement is not yet available. 

Noel Kelly

« Reply #4 on: 22/09/2010 at 13:30 »
Fish like weed so I like weed :shock Loch Park where I love to fish is so weedy that sometimes im not sure whether to try and paddle through it or walk on top of it :z4
Haddo has weed and Im sure Mike has noticed that I tend to head straight for it. Weed is not a major issue when fishing drys which I mainly do at both these venues. I would also be in a tube/boat and can target the fish that are feeding around the weed. 
Loch Insch had hardly any weed that I can remember when I used fish it regularly 5 or more years ago and it looked to me like they were making no effort to fight it.
The newer loch near the caravan park looked unused. Water was very low, stagnant and green. 

Thinking about it Lochter seems to have a lot more weed this year also but every time I have been there I have seen either someone working at clearing out some or piles of it left for collection.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 22/09/2010 at 17:59 »
 A few years ago, I also reported on this forum about the state of the place ............

Keith Palmer / "Andrew's brother"

Although it is not my place to get involved in "defending" another fishery ........

I'm sorry, but it might be best not to mention the "Loch Insch report" of a few years ago, as so often is the case, there were two sides to that story and I probably still have Yvonne's email that she sent me regarding that post. Her comments in the email as the fishery manager of the time explained the outburst regarding fish condition, bad management, flashy houses etc etc fully ..... and I had similar experiences with your party when you visited my fishery at the time :z6

I am quite sure that everybody here is more than capable of making their own "informed opinions" thank you :z16

Best wishes
Mike

« Reply #6 on: 22/09/2010 at 18:15 »
 What similar incidents at your fishery? We had a great day there with no complaints either from us or you.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 22/09/2010 at 18:29 »
There is no point in going back over something that happened a few years ago Keith :z6

I simply remember that I had to speak to both Doug and yourself about keeping fish in the water and not handling them so much and explaining why this was so important to the condition of the fish.

Best wishes
Mike

Kev Danby

« Reply #8 on: 22/09/2010 at 19:27 »
An Chuileog I like some too see some weed even with nymphs you get a fair number of takes when you pull the fly free of weed. I have fished Insch only a couple of times this year and not exprienced anything like the day you had. The last time i was at the fishery i was with people who had never fished before i never fished but tried to help them hook a fish. After speaking with one chap who was catching a few fish he kindly offered a fly and line for a leader to help the guys i was with.

We all have good and bad experiences fishing I think all the fisheries up here have their pros and cons but in general I think the overall quality in the grampian/moray area is hard to beat and there is always one you decide is your favourite place where you can lose yourself in your own thoughts. 

« Reply #9 on: 22/09/2010 at 19:43 »
  Agreed Mike, as you recall it was my first experience of float tubing, hence my handling. This was not to take away from the fact that I had a great day and your advice was invaluable.
  As said in previous post there are a great number of outstanding fisheries in the area, many of which I have visited and enjoyed. However there are also others that are not so good!
  For this reason I believe that the forum is an excellent place to swap views, opinions and advice to other anglers.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com